Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Getting rid of duplicates - unexpectedly difficult

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of getting rid of a lot of duplicate keywords in an account I've recently taken over. I've deleted many of them but there are still a few to go. Obviously, when I come across duplicates, I compare their performance and keep the best-performing one. What I'm finding difficult is that a certain amount of duplicates vast disparities in performance in some metrics, despite the variations between them being very slight. Example:

KeywordMax. CPCAverage CPCClicksImpressionsCTRAverage positionQS
compresores de aire3,953,171205295044,08 %2,84
compresor de aire2,732,881823431654,22 %2,92

(In case it helps, I am using automatic CPC)

In this case, "compresor de aire" is receiving more clicks, has a higher CTR and a lower CPC. All this while, in fact, it has a worse QS, and is "Rarely shown due to low quality score". The other keyword ("compresores de aire") isn't great as regards QS, it's better (and isn't restricted through having a very low QS), yet its performance is inferior.

In this sort of situation, what should I do? What metric should I base my decision on? In general, what metric/s are best to look at in choosing between duplicates?

I would appreciate any comments,

Jordan Irvine

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

By Google's standards - the higher the QS  ---> the better the performance. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Moshe, do you mean the most important metric to look at is the QS? 

If I got rid of "compresor de aire" (QS of 2), then would the other keyword perform better?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Each word performance is measured separately, But first, remove low QS KWs which do not convert.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In that case, what do I do with keywords that have low QS but good conversion rate?

If in the above example, both keywords had the same conversion performace, which would be better to keep?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

What do you mean by "a good conversion rate". You did not provide the conversion rate,. Please add conversion rates to the table

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Moshe, what I'm asking is: what metric/s would you usually base your decision on? Is it conversions, or QS, or both? Or something else?

What I'm seeking is guidance that will help me get rid of all duplicates, not only the example above. I'd like to know which metric/s I should place the most importance on when deciding which KW to keep.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Jordan I;

Good question. 

My rule of thumb and keyword below QS = 4, with  a conversion rate, which is one standard deviation below average I remove. ( Usually I do this with new accounts, transfer to my management, as part of the initial optimization:  I calculate the average conversion rate and the standard deviation. )

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That's very helpful, @MosheTLV. Trust it doesn't sound too dumb, how do you calculate the standard deviation on your keywords? what metric do you base your standard deviation on?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Google now reports, historical QS.  Excel or any  statistical tool will calculate, . Before that, since CTR is the predominant component of QS, I  used CTR.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/STDEVA-function-5ff38888-7ea5-48de-9a6d-11ed73b29e9d