Guide Me
star_border

Getting more Impressions for Non Priced ad copy than priced ad copy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am doing ad copy test with (Price Vs Non-Price) Google Experiment by splitting 50-50 traffic. I have observed my experiment campaign (without price in ad copy) is getting more impressions than control (with the price tag in ad copy).

There is not much change in ad copy except price. But why Non priced ad copies are getting more impressions than priced ad copies. Will Google give more quality to non priced ad copies and serve for more queries?

Thanks,

Satya

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @satyappc

It should not be just about the price that the system is giving more preference to the ad copy where there's no price mentioned. Technically, it's more about relevance and the other targeting strategies you have implemented with the campaign in the question. 

AdWords will show ads more often which have got better relevance to your keywords and the ads which get better CTRs in general. If you want to make your second version ads to work, you should rewrite it taking relevance to your keywords in mind. Also, using some action words, like buy now, explore, contact us etc. are known to increase ads' click-through-rates. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan-Jha,

Thanks for your inputs. Here the dynamics are even for both (control and experiment) and the change is the only price tag. I know my CTR is low for priced ad copies and this is because of filtering the users who are more price sensitive/unwanted traffic. But why I am not getting the same impressions for priced ad copy.

First I did historic test paused priced ad copies and activated non-priced ad copies and observed huge lift in impressions. Then tested with experiment and observed more impressions for non-price ad copies. Please note that there is no change in my keyword position for both.

Thanks,

Satya 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @satyappc

You can experiment with Ad Rotation settings. Check your Ad Rotation setting for Experiment and make sure it is set to Rotate Indefinitely. It will ask the system not to prioritize top performing ads leaving more chances for the other ads to appear. In this case, you should keep the same set of ads for the original and the experiment campaigns. 

Next, how many impressions you are considering before deciding that the ads are not working. Make sure it is enough. More than 1000 impression ideally. 

Also, while on experiments and automation, give it some time, do not jump to the conclusion too fast. Base your analysis period on time (two to three weeks) or on exposure (over 10K impressions). 

If already given this period for the analysis. Change your ad, try a different version and keep testing.

If you have tried many versions already. You need to rethink!

Look at the competition. Does your ad become any different when you add price to it? Aren't the competitors using the same/similar prices? If yes, you can't establish it as the USP, move on and find a new differentiator. 

Is your price much higher than the competition? If yes, try justifying it. If you can't, do not use it with the ad.

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan-Jha,

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I said earlier there is no change in any dynamic. All setting and keyword bids are same for both. I have sufficient data (more than 2 months and will get daily more than 2000 impressions)

Here the question is why non-priced ad copies are getting more impressions than priced ad copy. my Non priced ad copies getting 48% additional impressions than priced ad copy. This lift observed with historic and experiment 

Here I am not looking at performance level only impressions. 

Thanks,

Satya

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @satyappc

Let me be precise to your question as to why non-priced ad copies are getting more impressions than priced ad copy?

The answer is - the past performance metrics and your ad rotation setting. By default, AdWords will show the ads more often which have performed well in the past. If you want to force an add to show more often instead -

- Pause the ads that you don't want and have the only the ads which you want to show. Becuase of the shift, the system will take time to start triggering your new ads more often. If the ad metric suffers because of this change, the new ads will not perform better. If they are the same, give it some time have enough performance metrics. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha