AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Getting More Impressions...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I’m happy with my CTR which about 2.81% and I’m happy with my conversion rate which is21%.  But, I’m not happy with the number of impressions I’m getting.  I’m hoping that more impressions will lead to more clicks which will lead to more conversions.

The problem is, I never hit my max budget.  Over the last month an a half I’ve only come close once.  My daily max budget is $50 and typically I’m only spending $5-$20. I currently have my bid strategy to “Top of the first results page” and Target search "20% Increase + Low Quality”.   I have my delivery method set to “accelerated”.

How do I get more impressions?  Or, are there just not that many people searching the search terms I’m using?

One thing that I keep seeing is the suggestion to switch to Target CPA bidding.  Will that get me more impressions?

One thing that has me worried about that is the amount of data Google has to make it’s Target CPA calculations.  On the help page for Target CPA it says “we recommend that you have at least 30 conversions in the past 30 days” and I’ve only had 20 (I actually question that total since one ad group has a 133.33% conversion rate so my guess is some conversions are being double counted).

Anyway, I don’t want my impressions to go down and I don’t want to do anything that will effect my ad performance.  What is the best way to get more impressions… if people are actually making the searches?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting More Impressions...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff S the first thing to consider is that there simply may not be any more impressions available for the Keywords you're using, this is usually the simplest answer.  If this is the case, you may want to look at those Keywords and consider whether you can use broader match types to attract wider search terms.  Have you looked at the Search Terms report (select one or more Keywords then click on the "Search Terms" button)?

IF there are more impressions available, then you're missing them because of your Ad position, not your budget.  The delivery method (Standard or Accelerated) has no impact when budget is unlimited so you can safely ignore that (in fact, I'd recommend changing it back to "Standard" since this is a more useful method for almost all advertisers).  I'd personally be inclined to switch to Manual CPC bidding for a while and control your Keyword Max CPCs to set an average Ad position of around 1.5 - 2.0.  Google's automated bidding strategies can work very well, but, as you've suggested, they do like a lot of data and in my experience the "first page" and "top of page" strategies can often be unreliable.  I certainly wouldn't be using Outranking Share at this point and if I was, 20% is a low figure - that means you're happy to be below your chosen competitor 80% of the time, is that really what you want?

Have you looked at the columns for Search Lost IS (rank) and Search Impr. Share?  These two can give real insights into why you're not seeing as many impressions as you could.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Getting More Impressions...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey...

Thanks for the reply...

I didn't know about the Search Lost IS (rank) and Search Impr. Share columns.  I  just looked at those for the last 30 days and I'm at 34% and 65% respectively.  So I guess that means there are more impressions to be had.

"I certainly wouldn't be using Outranking Share at this point and if I was, 20% is a low figure - that means you're happy to be below your chosen competitor 80% of the time, is that really what you want?"

I'm not sure what you mean here... I'm not using "Target Outranking Share".  The 20% I'm referring to was in relation to the "Target Search Page Location" setting where it lets you set a percentage to let Google increase your bid, which I have set to a 20% increase.  Unless I'm misunderstanding what the "Target search page location - 20% Increase" portfolio strategy means.

"I'd personally be inclined to switch to Manual CPC bidding for a while and control your Keyword Max CPCs to set an average Ad position of around 1.5 - 2.0"

I'm not sure where or how I can set the Max CPC for an average ad position of 1.5 - 2.0.  When I change the bid strategy to "Manual Manual CPC", the only option is "enable enhanced cpc: AdWords automatically adjusts your bids to maximize conversions."  But I don't see where I can set the CPC or tell it I want position 1.5 - 2.0.

That is actually why I chose the "Target search page location" option, because it was the only one I could see where I could specifically say I wanted the top location.

Thanks again!

Jeff