AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Get the most out of AdWords: Read how to increase your CTR and grow your conversions (Suzanne's online business optimization)

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Community Experts, 

Here is another business that seeks your help with some tailored optimization tips. 

Please welcome Suzanne who is the business owner and also the manager of the AdWords account. 

Her business, The Didit, is based in California. The company provides a unique patented product, the Didit, that helps people keep track of the meds they've taken. It simply attaches to the medicine container. 

Her challenge is that she compete with highly competitive keywords, pill, pill tray, pill reminder. However, the biggest challenge is that she needs to learn how to better use AdWords to achieve her advertising goals. She'd like to also get help with Google Analytics.

Current AdWords settings:
  • In the past 30 days: the account is getting only impressions and no clicks
  • The campaign is set for both, search and display networks

So here is what Suzanne needs help with:

1. Improve keywords and increase her overall CTR
2. Increase conversions
3. Help linking AdWords account with Google Analytics 

How can we help Suzanne to get back on track and improve her account performance?

Zee
G+
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Suzanne's business needs help how to increase clicks on AdWords ads. Help now!

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 13
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Here are some tips that you want to try to implement in your account if you need help with: 

1. Improving keywords and increasing overall CTR
"If you're in a competitive market I think it would be best to stick to specific keywords...You can see more about the match types here" (purefuzz)

"I drastically imporoved my CTR by incorporating Website (Ad) Extensions to my ads to show the different pages that were available to my sites.  This allowed me to craft more targed ad copy because I was not trying to jumble multiple messages into one ad.  It kept my ads focused and my AdGroups nice and clean." (TandemMobile)

2. Increasing conversions
"Bringing the ads in front of the right audience will be a really good start to increasing conversions.  You have the right tool (adwords) but sounds like you may need to put together a different strategy for success." (Kim_Clink)

Zee
G+

View solution in original post

Re: Suzanne's business needs help how to increase clicks on AdWords ads. Help now!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, .. and I really appreciate your help. Thank you! 

I've got this product that helps people keep track of their medicine/vitamins, .. whether they have taken them or not. I compete with a very expensive category "pill"  and I have a very inexpensive item. I need to make it so that people looking for my item can FIND IT. : -) I'm looking forward to learning more and how you can help guide me throgh.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Suzanne,

I'll try and give you a few pointers to get you going in the right direction.

If you could maybe give us an idea of how you have your account structured and what kind of keywords you are targeting we'll be able to help refine our advice for you a bit.

Search network keyword selection

As you're in a competitive market I think it would be best to stick to specific keywords. Phrases like pill management, manage medication, pill calendar, pill schedule, pill diary, medication schedule could work well for you. IBroad match modified and phrase match would be my prefererred match types for this kind of product. Broad match modifier gives you more control over the standard broad match (doesn't go too far away from your keyword) but will still bring in additional in plurals, stemmings and acronyms. To use broad match modifier you place a + in front of each word you want to apply it to, like, +pill +management. You can see more about the match types here

Display network keyword selection

Create separate search and display campaigns so you can see their performance separately and manage them accordingly. You'll still want your main search keywords being used in specific adgroups but we'll want to get a bit more creative for the display network. Think about the types of people that need to take or manage someones medication on a regular basis. These are the people we need to see your ads. Conditions like gout, arthritis, heart disease and many others will have a lot advise forums/websites that people will visit to help cope with their specific condition. By separating out conditions into their own adgroups and targeting this way you can write/create ads more relevant to these people. 

Keywords like gout control/management/advice/help could be good oens to try out.

There's a few ideas for keywords on the earch and display networks but I'd like to get into increasing your conversions.

Website navigation is a key ingredient to successful websites. I was looking around your site and then wanted to get back to the home page but couldn't without going back or finding the home button on your contact page. I'd receommend getting a home button or linking your logo to link back to the home page for easier navigation.

On your buy now page you have a list of items that I can buy. What I really need to see on this page is what I am about to buy. From this page, for me, it's not entirely clear what I am getting as i'm not familiar with the names of your product. Some ar $5, some are $2 but I don't know what is what. If you added some clear imagery along with the pricing and a little bit of info I think you'll see an instant substantial increase in your conversion rates on this page.

On your how to use page, I'd also add some simple step by step images rather than have only videos for people who aren't patient enough (i'm on of them) to wath your videos. At the end of your steps, link this straight to your buy now page. This is helping direct people through the process and the less people have to think/find/do, the better you'll do.

If you could provide a bit of extra info, I'll be happy to add more to this.

Good luck.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You are amazing, ... I'm not sure where to start. I've been trying to figure out how to create a hot spot over the Didit image, in the top left, so that it would take a person back to the home page. On some pages I just created a link. So, I'll continue to work on that. thanks.

On How to Use, ... I have a series of 3 photos, .. Stick it, Click it, Didit! and I'll find a way to put that with some dialogue on this page.

On the Buy Now, I'll have to think about this and how to do it. By having such a standard small frame to work from, this had made it challenging space wise. Maybe I can create a pop out image or just figure out how to increase the page size.??

I'll get on this tonight after work and see what I can come up with and check in again in the morning. I definitely want to look  into the + and also targeting the specific site for specific disease states.

Like I said, I'll be working on this tonight! ... and be back in the morning.

Thanks!

Suzanne

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Suzanne,

I will provide a small piece of insight that was given to me about utilizing Ad Extensions.

I drastically imporoved my CTR by incorporating Website (Ad) Extensions to my ads to show the different pages that were available to my sites.  This allowed me to craft more targed ad copy because I was not trying to jumble multiple messages into one ad.  It kept my ads focused and my AdGroups nice and clean.

I hope this provides you with a little help and if there are pieces or parts that I did not touch on, I hope that one of the other community members can back me up a little bit.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

I would suggest the ad extension tool to increase your CTR as mentioned in a previous post. By placing a call to action extension expecially on mobile platform this can be extremely effective to the end user. There is also marketplace where you can upload your product and show product extensions given your product and industry it might be beneficial to have some visual aids to intice them to click through.

Mike Blackmore - 1 Click Away From a Conversion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

1. Improve keywords 

To improve on the keywords i have couple of suggestion for you - these will look lke basic tweaks, but I feel is important to do it on weekly basics.

Adding positive and Negative keywords from the Search Query Report (SQR) - if you haven’t done this - recommend you to take all time SQR - this not only gives you an idea about the quality of traffic seeing your ad - i mean the search queries which are triggering your keywords are relevant or not and also help you in adding relevant keywords to existing ad-groups.

Use Keyword tool - use the ad-group ideas feature to create tightly themed ad-groups around - word phrases relevant to your services - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2470029

2. Increase her overall CTR

Please find below few suggestion - which can be used for improving CTR

a. Once you have tightly themed ad-groups - use the Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI) in you ad-text on Headline, Description or Display URL - depending up on your keyword sets in ad-groups and messaging you want to push/show to the users - kindly go through the this link to understand how to use, advantages, best practices or do's / don't s - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454041

b. Use Site Links extension feature - show USP of your services/products , offers or related product/services with the normal ad-text ( condition for this feature - your ad should qualify for top positions - i.e. above organic results ) - more on how to use and best practices - pls go through the this link - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375416

c. Improve your ad-position - target at bring them to 1-3 levels - because i guess once you ads are there at this level for majority of the times your CTR eventually increases - compare to ad positions below 4  (http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=tips.html)

Fundamentally ad rank = Max.CPC  x Quality Score (QS) - where both these variables play important role in achieving good ad rank/position .

Suggestion on getting the right Max.CPC - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2471184

d. try viewing the Exact match share metrics – and work towards achieving high % - the more the good -  go thought the this link to understand & how to improve the same - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497703

about & improving QS - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454010

Simply follow the process explained in this link - hopefully you should be able to associate your Adwords account to GA

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704341

Optimization Center – Information here will also help you in understanding different optimization option at different data points - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=21804&from=guide&rd=1

My reply is very general in nature – hope suggestion mention by me should help you in quick turnaround once implemented.

Cheers!

Meraj

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Cool Product Suzanne!

Here is what I think.

Display Network, Remarketing and Search

1 The Display Network covers millions of websites and can allow you to target on multiple levels from keywords, to managed placements, to topics, interests and more.  You can also target demographics like age groups, income ranges and more.  What I imagine for you is to start with the Display Network by targeting a specific websites related to medications and health and you can do this through topics.  To start use the demographic targeting feature to target age groups of 35 years +.  Think of the different messaging you may use for a new mom giving meds to their kid vs a senior citizen who has 14 med bottles on their counter.  The messaging in your ads (image or text) may be very different.

2. Remarketing - if your traffic volumes support this remarketing is an excellent way to bring your ads back in front of people who previously visited your website.  You need to place a small amount of code on your site (or modify your existing Google analytics code) and you can place a cookie on the browser of visitors to your site.  These people then become list members and once you have 100 list members you can actively start serving ads to these people as they visit other Google display network properties around the web.  Image and text ads are allowed but image ads are most effective and will give you the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to building brand awareness for your product.

3. Search network is expensive and there are not a lot of keywords that exactly describe what you provide which forces you out into shark invested competitive waters on keywords like Pills, Pill boxes, etc.  Use the Search Network sparingly to complete a circle created by the display network and remarketing.  Once people see your ads on the display network and through remarketing they may come to google dot com to do an actual search for 'the didit'.

So here is what Suzanne needs help with:

1. Improve keywords and increase her overall CTR

CTR on search should be at least 2% but the higher the better as far as AdWords performance goes.  Really the metrics to watch is the conversions metric - are you tracking sales with adwords conversion tracking or analytics goals?  Keys for higher CTR are Keyword Match Types, Search Terns Report, Negative Keywords, Relevant Adgroups that all contain related keywords and related ad copy, good positioning for visibility.

2. Increase conversions

Bringing the ads in front of the right audience will be a really good start to increasing conversions.  You have the right tool (adwords) but sounds like you may need to put together a different strategy for success.

Did you enable auto tagging on the AdWords side?  MY ACCOUNT  > PREFERENCES > Auto Tagging > Yes.  In Google Analytics you also need to log into the GA account and visit the Admin section (upper right corner) and then find the Data Sources section on the main GA page pane.  That is where you link the GA and AdWords account.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Just to echo Kim's thought on conversion tracking idea, conversion tracking is a great way to track how much return on investment you are getting from your AdWords advertising. It also gives you extra options in terms of your bidding.

For example, once you have a good lot of conversion data you can start using enhanced cost per click bidding. This is a feature of AdWords that allows AdWords to increase your bids by up to 30% on keywords that convert the best and to lower your bids on keywords that do not convert so well. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
A+