AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Get the best out of AdWords: Nicola's online shop received useful AdWords tips on how to drive more conversions.

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Community Experts,

I'm pleased to welcome Nicola to our Community. She is very excieted about this opportunity to get help with her AdWords account improvement.

Nicola manages an account for the UK based company called Vinyl Flooring Onlinehttp://www.vinylflooringonline.co.uk.  

Vinyl Flooring Online is a web shop selling quality vinyl flooring solutions from Polyflor, Altro and Tarkett. The shop also stocks all the accessories. The company's main challenge at the moment is online promotion. Although the business has been on a market for a year now, Nicola feels like it needs some help to get to the next level.

Current setting of the AdWords account:
  • Location targeting is set for the UK only
  • The campaign is structured based on the products
  • In the past 30 days - the CTR was at 1.7%, Avg. position is @ 6.6
  • The campaign is doing better in search than on display network
  • Conversion tracking is enabled, but not verified
  • Location extensions are enabled

What Nicola's business needs help with:

1. Improve ad position
2. Reduce CPC bids and improve CTR
2. Increase clicks and conversions 

Can we help?
Zee
G+
5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New: Nicola's online shop needs more conversions. Can we help with useful AdWords tips?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

Thank you very much, it is great to be part of the adwords community.  As per the intro thank you, we are a relatively new online business.  I have set the adwords account up myself by using online tutorials but still consider myself a beginner!

I would appreciate your help and advice on how I can improve.

Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you.

Nicola

Re: New: Nicola's online shop needs more conversions. Can we help with useful AdWords tips?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Nicola and welome to the forum!   Let me start by bombarding you with questions! 

What do you consider to be your weakest point - or the Adwords feature(s) with which you would most like help?  What tracking do you have in place to determine when a sale comes from Adwords?  Have you had any sales yet?  How is your ROI (Return on Investment).

I'll have a look over your site over the next few hours and see if I can spot anything obvious that might help.  In the meantime, please feel free to compile a barrage of questions to fire back at us!

(Later) OK Nicola, I can see a number of things, almost instantly, that could probably benefit your business.  Firstly, your shopping cart process seems a bit... odd.  I tried adding some cushion flooring to my basket and it only added 1 metre, there didn't appear to be any option to choose a number of metres.  I'd also make some changes to the layout of the site - try to bring the content up the page "above the fold" so that it's more immediately obvious you sell online (I don't believe it is from the current home page, when you don't see the choices below).  The top menu is way too small and indistinct and I'd like to see some more offers and quick links around.  

In my opinion the MOST important aspect of any site - but especially ecommerce ones - is that the visitor understands what the site can offer IMMEDIATELY.  If they can't tell straight away, they'll leave and go somewhere else.

Anyway, I'll have a more thorough look and find some more things to moan about.  Don't be scared (or angry!) it'll be fun and we'll get you up and running in no time.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Nicola.

I'm with Jon on this one, and I also think that even if it's not too easy to edit the templates in an E-Commerce solution, Volusion in your case, there is room for better templates. A nice example is featured on the Volusion website (http://www.sunandski.com/). Apart from what Jon already mentioned, there's a scrolling bar at the bottom of the products list whose raison d'être is a mistery to me Smiley Happy.

However, the website layout could hurt, let's say, your conversion rate. Your CTR could be better even with your current template.

Zee says your conversion tracking is not verified. Can you please click on one of your ads, then perform a test purchase and see if:

- Analytics detects you as a paid campaign visitor (http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1638635)

- You can see the conversion both in AdWords and Google Analytics (I see you have Analytics installed and I hope AdWords and Analytics are linked

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Nicola,

• link analytics to adwords and webmasters tools (if you didn't so far)
  • define goals in analytic (eg: thank-you page, after purchase)
  • research organic trafic and position for keywords that brings conversions to you, add this keywords to your campaign
  • if you use broad keywords consider to use phrase and exact match (research negative and add to the campaign eg: wallpaper for "cushion vinyl")
  • test dedicated landing page with contact form (how many contact do you get by this form instead the clasic shop with nuy process);
  • make remarketing list, and start a remarketing campaign;
  • display (if automated) - exclude placement like games and other not suitable for your business
  • make a least two ads for each ad group. test it, choos the best ad and make a new one, test it again
  • might consider to use {KeyWord:Cushion Vinyl} in your ad
  • research search terms in adwords, exclude terms not suitable for your campaign/s
  • rise cpc for good QS score
  • use sitelinks

Regards,

Constantin

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon!

Thank you for your immediate resonse.  Yes please lots of help needed, just please excuse me if I have to qualify 'how' to implement some things.

Great to get feedback from fresh eyes,.. we currently use a free Volusion template and I can see a few comments from other contributors that this needs to be changed.  I will investigate this and the cart today.

On adwords I am struggling as I cannot find out how to link to see what is working or not... I have not yet linked adwords and analytics - do you do this through adwords or the analytics?  I am currently running 5 campaigns in adwords to point at the different areas we sell - Cushion, Polyflor, Altro, Grass .., with differing responses!

I am using single search words at the mo and have tailored each ad but not sure if this is the correct way....

THANKS! Nicola

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Calin

Yes good point... think we need to revisit the actual site template...thans for the example, helps to see other ideas.  I am having a horror with the bottom of the site as has dissapeared adn yes that awful scroll bar is there with non of my customer testimonials etc,,

Yes, my conversion tracking is not verified, I have looked on a few youtube videos but cannot work out how I do this, so currently the monies I am spending not sure which ad works best.... 

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post,,, I have a long way to go so all the help is much appreciated!

Nicola

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Constantin

Thank you - I have literally written your list out as my to do list... will try do these, however may be back for advise on how!  I do need to understand the negative key word element as think I have misunderstood and not included a braoder match previously... will look at this also.  

Any advise very gratefully received... Thanks Nicola

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stephenb (Follower ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Nicola,

Welcome To Community! Great Advices Above!! Smiley Happy

I would like to explain on "search query report" as you are willing to know more on "Negative Keywords" element.

Search query report is very very important because from this report you get an idea what actually people type in "google search" to see your ad. Look into search query for 'all time" if you never looked into it yet.

Now look for negative keywords as well as positive keywords.

>> Negative keywords: add them as negative keywords at campaign level as well as at adgroup level. Your ads will not be shown on thes queries.

It is really necesary to take advantage of negative keywords match types those are as follows:

Broad negative keyword: When you add negative keyword in broad match your ad will not appear for any query that contains that term.

Phrase negative keyword: when you add negative keyword in phrase match, you ad will not appear for any query that contains term in exact same sequence. For instance, if you add “floor tiles” as a negative term, the Adwords system will block each search query that contain "floor tiles" in exactly the same sequence.

Exact Negative Keywords: when you add negative keyword in exact match, you ad will not appear for any query that exactly match with the query. For instance, if you add [floor tiles] as a negative term, the Adwords system will block exact search query floor tiles.

>> Positive keywords: you can add +ve keywords in your relevant adgroups. You specially add converted keywords with bit high bid to get good position always.

You can more on Negative Keywords here. When you add negative keyword make sure to add plurals, singulars as well. for example: job, jobs, salary, salaries, free, vacancy, vacancies etc.

Some general suggestions:

>> I prefer to keep adgroups thighty themed with relevant adcopy and landing page.
>> I can see that you have deals of the day in website. If you are not using them in your adcopy, Please ulitize that.
>> Try to maintain relevany between search query and adgroups/keywords by doing search query regularly. It helps in CTR & QS.
>> Please use Ad extensions if you are not using them yet.
>> Analyze keywords & adcopy and pause underperforming keywords.
>> Keep bids good for good keywords.
>> You can utilize oppotunties tab for ideas.
> Test new adcopies every few weeks in order to achieve better CTR.
> Bid Management to maintain Top Positions

I would advice you to see "Impression Share report". Are you convering enough market out of total impressions available in your targeted audience. Is the lost impression because of Los IS rank or Lost Is budget?

If its because of Lost Is rank, you need to work on improving Quality Score and adjusting bids. Better campaign strcture + relevant search queries + relevacy between adgroups/keywords/ads/landing page + the most important Good CTR is the starting strategy to get good QS. You need to work on bid management.

Higher CTR means good Qs & good QS means less cost.

Another important metrics to look at Exact match IS. Google Defined Exact Match Is as: "The number of impressions that you've received for searches that exactly matched your keyword divided by the estimated number of exact match impressions you were eligible to receive." This data is only available for campaigns and ad groups in the Search Network.

You can improve exact match Is by refining your search query time to time.

Edit: One question: since your avg. position is 6.6. Are you using automatic bidding or manual bidding?

I hope it helps you in someway. I tried to put some of the thoughts!

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi again Nicola.  As far as linking Adwords and Analytics goes, there's a good, easy to follow article here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704341

Neha has already pretty much covered the keyword side of things...

Ideally, you'll want to have some form of conversion tracking on your site so that Adwords "knows" when a sale has been made from an Adwords click.  This is reasonably easy to set up - the hardest bit is putting the code in the right place on the website.  I'm not familiar with Volusion but they may have an interface for this rather than requiring manual intervention.  Basic instructions are here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722054

Keep the questions coming...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits