AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Get the basics right: How to improve your AdWords CTR?

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

This thread was created for all users who'd like to ask questions around click-through rate (CTR). 

Zee
G+
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Get the basics right: How to improve your AdWords CTR?

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Purefuzz asked an interesting question in comment to the artile posted about CTR. I've decided to share it with all of you in case you missed it:

Hi Zee,

I have a question that came up recently in another thread about wether you should pause or delete underperforming keywords.

Do you delete them or just pause them?

I was under the impression that paused keywords are still seen in the system as "active" therefore could still negatively effect your overall account performance so deleting them is a better option in the long run.

You mentioned to delete them in this post but could you maybe clarify this one for all of us so we know what the best thing to do is?

Zee
G+

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

And the answer is here: 

Hi Purefuzz, 

I've included a link for questions about CTR and keywords here:smileyhappy:

Here is an answer to your question: If you have a poorly performing keywork in your account, it doesn't matter if you pause it or remove it, the performance will be reflected in the history of the account. If you pause the keyword, having it there doesn't affect it anymore than it did when it was running. There's no difference between pausing it a deleting it - you're basically just stopping it from continuing to have a negative/neutral/positive impact on your account. 

Zee
G+

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Zee,

I don't have any CTR questions now but can share a tip to improve CTR.

Comb through your search terms reports to identify any search terms that do not fit and add these terms as negative keywords.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/AdWords-Negative-Keywords/ba-p/62568

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks, Kim. That's my next tip. Smiley Happy

Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
What about a good list of negatives? I believe it is an essential part of any AdWords campaign. You can add keywords which you don't want to trigger your ads.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 7
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Right on spot, Audrius_D. Do you have any good examples?
Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

this is how i do it, after running campaign for some time(15 days to month/depends on size and scope of campaign), you have data for good performing --bad performing--under performing etc kws,make sure to setup conversion tracking as well.

so you take a report out, pick your top keywords & adds and remake a campaign based on the results, now you are just running what you belive is worth running, eventually on long run you get better CTR, better conversions and even with the low budgets you know which keywords you can afford and which you can't(so you simply eliminate the kws which you can't afford to bid), you just put together all of the ones which you want to use.

Thanks

Tabish