3.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Get an Extra Edge this Valentine's Day

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Couples around the world are preparing to purchase gifts ready for Valentine’s Day but can you say the same of your AdWords account? Don’t be too quick to dismiss this special occasion because you don’t feel like your business fits the romantic theme, with the following tips you might be surprised at the extra conversions you can acquire.

Writing Your Ads

If you aren't lucky enough to fit in the Valentine's Day category of selling chocolates, flowers, etc, then don't worry as your ads can still be tweaked to cater for this audience. With a little originality (and humour at times) you can be clever enough with your ads to address unsuspecting Valentine's Day participants. Let's say you offer gym memberships, perhaps you could mention that they could try getting fit before going on that Valentine's Day date for example? Combine an example like this with a special deal for the occasion and you might find yourself getting additional conversions.

Designing Your Ads

Valentine's Day is a very visual orientated event which means you should take advantage by having some special ads designed for the Display Network. If you don't have artistic skills then you can use the Ad Builder within the AdWords interface for free; it's really easy to use and takes very little time to create ads from scratch or by using a template. If you are more familiar with the likes of Photoshop then you might want to give Google Web Designer a try; it's free to download and can allow you a lot of freedom when creating both static and animated ads.

Finding a Home for Your Ads

It's all well and good having some nice new ads designed but they're of no use until you find some suitable placements for them. You can either use the Display Planner tool to find Valentine's Day and gift related websites or simply take note as you browse around yourself; I tend to find many blogs like to review products in preparation to the event.

Finishing the Process

So you've attracted a potential love-struck individual with your shiny ads and witty text but unfortunately the conversion isn't complete there. A good landing page is needed to accompany the ad to increase your chances of getting a sale or lead as best as possible; perhaps you will want to replicate the display ad design on this particular page for example. If you have offered a special deal for Valentine's Day in your ad for example then don't forget to reflect this on your landing page also. 

Don't think that you will be the only advertiser trying to take advantage of Valentine's Day. It's likely your competitors will be trying similar tactics so it's important that you try to highlight and push unique selling points if possible. Can you add a gift wrapping option to your deliver service for example? They don't necessarily have to be big gestures as even the smallest ones can be enough to beat your competitor at times. And don't forget to make use of Callout and Sitelink Extensions to make your potential customers aware of these USPs!

I hope these few tips give you an extra edge around Valentine's Day and I'd love to hear about your own strategies! Kathleen has shared her own here which I really recommend to check out.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Get an Extra Edge this Valentine's Day

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Scotty for the post. Looking forward to have some good amount of leads on valentine day. Hope Everyone take leverage and Don’t wait until the last minute!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Thanks Scott for these tips. Idea of getting fit before valentine is good one Smiley Tongue
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Thanks for the sweet Valentine's Day tips Scotty.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
No problem guys! I hope they help Smiley Happy

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

As usual, you came right in time @ScottyD  . 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks senior, it's a furious article about Valentine's Day.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scotty,

Thanks for sharing special advertising tips for Valentine's Day.

Amit Verma

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the tips.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thnkz 4 best ad.....