AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Geo targeting/ location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was just curious, is geo-targeting better, for instance getting more impressions, with a bigger city, or a littler city say of 15k to 10k people or less? I am having trouble with keywords going LSV in a city with a smaller population. Will location targeting help my ad get seen more and/or have more relevant clicks?

Thanks in advance

~KO1 Smiley LOL

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Geo targeting/ location targeting

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey kendrao,

The better questio to ask is, where is your customer base? I think this should lead your targeting choices rather than focusing on the amount of impressions/clicks that you will receive.

If you are targeting a smaller area, I usually find it better to use broader keywords or at least have a campaign setup with keywords that do not have geo-queries appended. For example, if I were a restaurant in Chicago, I would setup a campaign targeting Chicago with broader keywords (not necessarily broad match) like 'restaurant', 'dining', 'eat out', etc. I could also setup a campaign targeting the state of Illinois, but these keywords would append a geo-query, such as 'chicago restaurant', 'dining in chicago', 'eat out in chicago', etc.

Definitely increasing your targeting will help with LSV keywords, but only do this if it makes business sense. Otherwise, try broadening the keywords at the current targeting level and keep and eye on your search queries reports to make sure the appropriate queries are triggering your ads.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

I am not sure I understand what you mean, could you please provide some examples of either?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey kendrao,

The better questio to ask is, where is your customer base? I think this should lead your targeting choices rather than focusing on the amount of impressions/clicks that you will receive.

If you are targeting a smaller area, I usually find it better to use broader keywords or at least have a campaign setup with keywords that do not have geo-queries appended. For example, if I were a restaurant in Chicago, I would setup a campaign targeting Chicago with broader keywords (not necessarily broad match) like 'restaurant', 'dining', 'eat out', etc. I could also setup a campaign targeting the state of Illinois, but these keywords would append a geo-query, such as 'chicago restaurant', 'dining in chicago', 'eat out in chicago', etc.

Definitely increasing your targeting will help with LSV keywords, but only do this if it makes business sense. Otherwise, try broadening the keywords at the current targeting level and keep and eye on your search queries reports to make sure the appropriate queries are triggering your ads.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

BI

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello kendrao;

Geo Targeting has its "margin of error"

You can target within the US up to zip code level , but do keep in mind that this is not perfect.

Moreover, are you targeting by intent and by location or by location only?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Great advice from the Community here again!

Just one thing I would add here is that it is best not to target a radius or series of locations that is lower than about 10 miles/10 km. 

The location targeting feature can be less effective when it is asked to target very small areas. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many of my keywords are definitely base phrase. Such as 'Chicago Insurance' or 'Insurance Chicago'. I just am not sure the benefits of leaving it targeting the US (default) or targeting my specific area within a 50-100 miles radius so to speak.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Location only.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I am a great fan of Geo targeting without having a location as a keyword.

Why aren't you also targeting by intent?

Read more:

An Introduction to AdWords Targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It nets us a buch of irrelevant traffic. Such as proxy users, someone is moving, someone right across the border - i.e. Portland, OR to Vancouver, WA. Overall with intent it has just cost us too much money for nothing relevent.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

A Google rep said in another discussion, that a circle with a radius of less than 10 miles is not accurate.