AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Geo-targeted ad appears in far-distant city?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Our client's martial arts studio is in City A. Why does THEIR geo-targeted ad (restricted to their OWN Nielsen metro area) appear when they search for "martial arts studio City B" -- and City B is in a different state, literally a thousand miles away? (They're visiting City B soon and want to check out other martial arts studios. So of course they were surprised when their search in City B returned their OWN ad...) And even more important -- how do we prevent this? Many thanks.
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Parker M
March 2017

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@Lakatos @Parker M

I think the issue here is keyword choice.  Whether you have it set to default or only people in your targeted location, they are still going to see the ad when they search other cities if you are sponsoring something along the lines of "martial arts studios."   

Interestingly enough, it did not used to be that way. It used to be that when you had it on the default, Google would do it's best to identify queries from a location interested in another location, and not show ads for the location they are in.  From what I can tell, that's not longer the case.   If you switched it to "people in my location only" then it would show for queries related to other locations.  In fact, the help bubble for that setting still reads as, "Your ad can appear to people who are likely to be physically located in your targeted location, even if they show interest in other locations."

The only option now it seems is to negative these outside cities as the queries come in. So you should add City B as a negative if you don't want the ad to trigger when it's searched for from City A.  You could also explain to the client how this works.  It's not like when people in City B search for it, they are seeing your ad for City A.

I understand this can be useful for a lot of verticals, but for some it is not. This instances of not actually make for a poor user experience in my opinion.  An example would be attorneys.  Law is very local in nature.  If I query for any kind of attorney in another city, the majority of ads I see are for ones in my city.  Based on how law works, I cannot use an attorney in my city.  Those ads are completely irrelevant.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Parker M,

My best guess is you did not set the advanced location options the way they should be. Please go to your campaign settings page, find and edit the a/m options and set them to:

- Target:   People in my targeted location
- Exclude: People in my excluded location

Hope the above will help.

Best,
Lakatos
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Parker M
March 2017

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@Lakatos @Parker M

I think the issue here is keyword choice.  Whether you have it set to default or only people in your targeted location, they are still going to see the ad when they search other cities if you are sponsoring something along the lines of "martial arts studios."   

Interestingly enough, it did not used to be that way. It used to be that when you had it on the default, Google would do it's best to identify queries from a location interested in another location, and not show ads for the location they are in.  From what I can tell, that's not longer the case.   If you switched it to "people in my location only" then it would show for queries related to other locations.  In fact, the help bubble for that setting still reads as, "Your ad can appear to people who are likely to be physically located in your targeted location, even if they show interest in other locations."

The only option now it seems is to negative these outside cities as the queries come in. So you should add City B as a negative if you don't want the ad to trigger when it's searched for from City A.  You could also explain to the client how this works.  It's not like when people in City B search for it, they are seeing your ad for City A.

I understand this can be useful for a lot of verticals, but for some it is not. This instances of not actually make for a poor user experience in my opinion.  An example would be attorneys.  Law is very local in nature.  If I query for any kind of attorney in another city, the majority of ads I see are for ones in my city.  Based on how law works, I cannot use an attorney in my city.  Those ads are completely irrelevant.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As I said in my original post, it is already geo-targeted to their Nielsen market area -- the basic settings you mention are already configured.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

David, thank you for your thoughtful explanation. I believe you are correct, and I agree -- for many use cases, quite possibly most, this is dysfunctional.

It seems counter-intuitive -- if I'm physically in City A, but searching EXPLICITLY for City B a thousand miles away, why show me City A ads? I could understand it if we were talking about nearby towns, but that's not the case here.

Usually Google's smart about only showing relevant content, so this seems like an odd inconsistency.

I see your point about the help bubble for the "people in my targeted location" setting as well. Further confirmation that you're right.