AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, Community!

So I am working with a vendor for my SEM buy and we would like to serve some of our SEM and banner ads to a certain area in our geography. They told us this isn't possible because of the low impression volume and it's not possible to serve different creative ads to only one small area within our campaign's geography. Is this true? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo Targeting

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott,

It is definitely possible to do this. You can create campaigns that target a single city only or nationwide. It depends on how large the city is but my suggestion is creating the campaign, adding your location target and see if it gains impressions in 24-26 hours. If not, try adding the city with a 15 or 25 mile radius to broaden your reach. Narrow targeting can lead to slightly higher CPCs but it is a worthwhile investment.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks, Jordan!

That's the tricky part because we have this campaign in an 11-county region, but we really want to go after two counties in particular. I was thinking we shouldn't target those two counties in the broad campaign and create another campaign specifically for those two counties so we don't compete with ourselves. Does this sound reasonable to do?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Scott B

You can approach this a couple of ways.  It really depends on if there is a different message you want to send to these specific two counties compared to the broad campaign that includes all eleven.  If the answer is no, you may want to consider just using a bid modifier on the the two counties that are most important.  This will allow you to bid more for these two counties or less on the remaining nine. More on that here under the Location section: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

If it is a different message, then you will need to create a separate campaign for these two counties, and then another campaign for the remaining nine.  I don't think you necessarily have to worry about "competing with ourselves" if it's all going to the same place.