AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Targeted display campaign not geo targeted.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did some display only advertising recently and geotargeted to some small areas around australia with a few in-market categories. I left the setting at people in or interested in my area - I assumed that not being a search campaign it wouldn't show to many people outside of my area as their not using google.com.au and no location search terms. Turns out I was wrong - out of 250,000 impressions more than 3 quarters were from other countries and out of 111 clicks only 20 of them were from australia. 

Does this seem a little off to anyone else??  I understand that in a search campaign if someone from algeria used my location as a keyword my ads would still run - but in a display only campaign targeting a small geographic area in australia showing to 5000 people in ho chi minh ? 

It seems that the criteria are that anyone that has shown interest in australia at any point has been included as interested in my target location because Im pretty sure that 200,000 people haven't shown interest in a small country town in NSW.....

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo Targeted display campaign not geo targeted.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Flashcass,

Try with the changed setting for location target as "people in my targeted location".
And what targeting methods you are using for your display campaign, demographic, display keywords, placements, topics?
If multiple targeting then "bid only" or "target and Bid" ?

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit - actually getting this one investigated by google because it doesnt make any sense. out of 32 accounts all with same settings only two accounts have blown out like this. One in the adelaide hills and one in country nsw. I even have one in the gold coast - which i would expect to get a lot of interest from other countries - yet that one didnt blow out like these other two and Im pretty sure that the gold coast would be getting a lot more people interested in it than somewhere like grafton.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Flashcass,

Thanks for the update, and if you don't mind, we'd appreciate you sharing the resolution here once the AdWords team has looked into the traffic so that others can learn from it.

Cassie