Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Geo-Modifiers in Broadly Targeted Campaign, "Low Volume" Errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI All,

I'm running a campaign around "mortgages" and a campaign for terms targeted to a certain county in New York:

- mortgage loans

- get a mortgage

- etc...

Then, I also have a New York State targeted campaign with all the locally targeted exact match flavors of those terms:

- 10006 mortages

- mortages 10006

- mortgages huntington ny

- mortgages huntington

- etc.... (lots of terms)

For 90% of these keywords, AdWords is saying there's not enough volume and ads won't show for the terms. My understanding is that this is the best practice for local PPC and even if one person searches for this -- which is inevitable for "mortgages", we should appear. All the literature I've read explains this is the best way to go about this -- btw, the same is true even if I nationally target the locallly modified terms. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!

Ketan

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo-Modifiers in Broadly Targeted Campaign, "Low Volume" Errors

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ketan!

I think your account is well structured.
The "low volume" is a pain in the a**.

Maybe your keyword match types are too narrow? As you are using multi-word keywords, I´d suggest you try modified broad match. That might help, but perhaps you already tried it?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

I'd also keep an eye on those keywords traffic levels over time, as the traffic for these terms can change. What is low search volume at one point may pick up in volume a while later. The Traffic Estimator tool and the Insights for Search tool might be able to help you here. 

Experimenting with matching typese as David suggested is also an idea to see if your matching options have been too restrictive up until now. 

Hope this helps. 

A. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Are you targeting by both location and intent or by location only?

What Geo targeting method do you apply? (City? Circle? Nielsen DMA ? Zip?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks all -- for the geo-modified terms campaign with "low volume" issues -- all the many many terms are exact matched which might be the issue? I've just been burned on broad match before and since I've got all the flavors of these, I figured exact would be okay. But, I can definitely try modified broad match and see if that helps. This campaign is targeted to all of New York State -- originally thought about doing Nationally but did not want to get into duplicate city name issues.

Location option is set as "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location."

Best,

K

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OK;

I can certainly understand the "burn with broad match"   Smiley Happy - It has happened to many...

However, the "exact match" (even with its "closed forms"  of misspellings and plurals) - is too tight.

Try:  modified broad match

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’