AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Generic keywords leads to high bounce rate.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Evyone,

I am new on Google Adwords, I am running campaigns on both search as well as display network. I have been using display network using contextual targetting. I started using  best forming keywords from my display network into search which are generic. When i checked my analytics i noticed my ads on search have high bounce rate. 

Do you think generic keywords have high bounce rate?

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Generic keywords leads to high bounce rate.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

the two networks do not "work" the same in terms of the functionality of the keywords;

As you correctly pointed out, on the display network, the goal of the keywords is to determine / find web pages with content similar to the theme of these keywords. On the other hand; on the search network, the more a keyword closely / exactly matches a search term - the better.

So, while on the display network you do want (generally speaking) a "broad match" keywords that will help you to find relevant web pages (based on the theme of keywords); on the search network, the more a keyword is closely matched to a search term - the more relevant it is to the user.

The result of this is the common bidding strategy on search: to bid highest on exact match type and to bid the lowest on the broad match type keyword;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, dreamzworld.

1.5% CTR for the Search Network is not high at all. There is a huge difference of CTR between Search and Display (I have frequently seen 0.20% and less for display and up to 60-70% on brand terms in Search) so please do not compare them, as they are not alike in any way.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

There will always be many women who will click on your ad, in this case, and many of them will not be interested in your offer.

You cannot have very broad keywords and relevancy (and thus high QS) at the same time. Even if you use broad, generic keywords, you should only use them until you figure out which of the search terms they match are delivering relevant traffic to you.

Once you find them, you should promote them to keyword status. At the same time, you should add any irrelevant search terms as negative keywords.

But like I said, general can never be relevant. And irrelevance leads to low QS and high costs.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

the two networks do not "work" the same in terms of the functionality of the keywords;

As you correctly pointed out, on the display network, the goal of the keywords is to determine / find web pages with content similar to the theme of these keywords. On the other hand; on the search network, the more a keyword closely / exactly matches a search term - the better.

So, while on the display network you do want (generally speaking) a "broad match" keywords that will help you to find relevant web pages (based on the theme of keywords); on the search network, the more a keyword is closely matched to a search term - the more relevant it is to the user.

The result of this is the common bidding strategy on search: to bid highest on exact match type and to bid the lowest on the broad match type keyword;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks a lot Moshe. Its clear now that generic or broad match keywords work well only for display network and I need to use exact or phrase match keywords for search network in order to have good bounce rate.

I have noticed certain broad match keywords have high CTR but quality score is very low 3/10. Don't you think if CTR is high so Quality score also should be high too? what is the avarage ctr for search and display network?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You are correct. There is a direct correlation between CTR and QS, A higher CTR means high QS;

However, the initial QS you are given (until 1000 impressions), is based on OTHER advertisers QS, for the same keyword (based on KW exact match) . After you gain 1000 impressions, the system starst to calculate QS based on your campaign's performance.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Moshe Again.

I agree to what you said High quality score means Higher CTR.

But in my case its weird for generic keywords on search network, i am getting High CTR of 1.5% and Quality score of 3/10. It's very difficult to explain this scenario to my superiors.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, dreamzworld.

1.5% CTR for the Search Network is not high at all. There is a huge difference of CTR between Search and Display (I have frequently seen 0.20% and less for display and up to 60-70% on brand terms in Search) so please do not compare them, as they are not alike in any way.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I am back.... I agree with Calin. (and since his answer has added value about "relative" CTR value I star it...Smiley Wink )

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Guys for your help. You both are really good.

I should agree, User behaviour on search and display network is totally different.

I learnt few things here.

1) Generic keywords works well for display network but not for search network.

2) Generic keywords in search leads to High Bounce rate So its advisable to use exact, phrase or broad match modifier.

3) Display network Average CTR - 0.20%.

Last Question, Until and unless its not clear i keep asking. Sorry for that.

What's the average CTR for Brands and Non Brands? As you said CTR 1.5% is not high at all and i had a quality score of 3/10 so was wondering.  

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello, dreamzworld.

Let's not jump to conclusions. 0.20% is not average CTR for the display network. It's just a "frequent CTR" in some of my accounts. I also get 0.05% on the display network, but then disable those placements. and I get 1% and 2% and even more on some niche websites, but I see very few impressions there.

The only thing you should remember is that most of the times display CTR is far lower than search CTR if the keywords are picked right. In your case, a QS of 3 should really make you rethink keyword matches, ad text and also destination URLs.

Generic keywords in search lead to high bounce rates if they're unrelated to the ad and the landing page. And mostly to the landing page, because once they get the click, the landing page is the deciding factor.

Generic keywords do not necessarily work well for the display network; in the absence of other targeting methods though (placements, topics, interests, gender, age, visitors list), they do work better than all-out campaigns.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes definitely having QS of 3/10, I have to think again about my keywords etc.

I was thinking of scenario to get a better idea since you said how relevant keywords are and landing page is the deciding factor. Suppose i am having recipe contest for woman. I am planning to run ads on search network. I want to target each and every woman who are searching for example cooking or recipes which is very relevant but i was also thinking why not target woman who are searching for home decor, shopping - accessories or dresses, Health tips, etc.Wont you find them relevant? I am trying to make sure every woman sees my ad.