AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

GDN traffic vs Facebook Traffic on the same LP , what to decide?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am currently driving traffic from GDN and a Facebook promoted post to the same landing page with discounts for some services . I am measuring as a conversion, sessions which result in a visit on at least 6 pages.

My problem : no matter how I optimize the google display campaign, I cannot get the same results as from facebook.

Google Display traffic parameters I managed to obtain with banner ads (Images) :

- 37 % bounce rate ( I am using the script Universal analytics with adjousted bounce rate for a visit on 1 page at least 10 seconds, so a bounce is a visit of less than 10 seconds)

- 6.5 % of visitors engage in reading at least 6 pages

- 2.05 pages per session

- 1min08sec avg. session duration

GDN-traffic.png

Facebook traffic parameters I managed to obtain on the same landing page, same images, same messages :

- 10.99 % bounce rate ( I am using the script Universal analytics with adjousted bounce rate for a visit on 1 page at least 10 seconds, so a bounce is a visit of less than 10 seconds)

- 20.56 % of visitors engage in reading at least 6 pages (3 times more than the "conversion" from GDN)

- 4 pages per session (2 times more than avg. pages than traffic from GDN)

- 2min04sec avg. session duration  ( 2 times more avg. time on site than GDN)

facebook-traffic.png

Of course traffic from facebook is much less , it could be considered irrelevant , but I 355 clicks is enough to get an image of the traffic quality .

What are your opinions on this :

1) If you measure how much of your GDN traffic engages in reading more than 6 pages on the site, what are your obtained percentages ? Do you manage to even come close to 20 % with GDN traffic ?

2) Based on this data, would you abandon GDN and alocate the marketing budget to facebook for this specific campaign ?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN traffic vs Facebook Traffic on the same LP , what to decide?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Adrian.

I suspect it's not just the landing page that you should consider here. It's the audience as well. What are your targeting criteria with AdWords and what are the ones with FB?

What demographics do you capture with AdWords and what do you capture with FB?

it may well be that FB offers you some extra possibilities with respect to targeting (people who liked page X, people who work for Y or certain professions) while in AdWords you'll have to resort to interest categories which won't be that precise.

In the end though it's you who decides, based on volume, CPA, etc.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I thought I had more precise targeting from AdWords, since in facebook I am only targeting the promoted post to Female + young ages segments and in AdWords am targeting also gender+age but I made several optimizations to avoid bad traffic : negative keywords to avoid traffic from game/ horoscope websites , blocked placements weekly , negative genders (including unknown) , negative age segments that I do not want.

With facebook I don't need to manage anything but with GDN I have to look at the automated placements almost every day because the network is very diversified and very few websites generate visits that result in more than 6 pages / session.

Thank you for the feedback.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You did exclude apps, I presume and certain not-so-useful categories, right?

Later edit:

• Parked domains
  • Error pages
  • Sexually suggestive
  • Juvenile, gross, and bizarre
  • Profanity and rough language
  • Military and international conflict
  • Death and tragedy
  • Crime, police, and emergency
  • In-game
  • Mature audiences (DL-MA)
  • Not yet labeled
  • Live streaming video
  • GMob mobile app non-interstitial

plus adsenseformobileapps.com

That's what I usually exclude.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes , all that, and I blocked Topics : Games and Affinity audiences (Reach): Gamers .

But the amount of irrelevant websites targeted automatically from GDN with over 5% Display CTR is endless.

For example I didn't pay attention for 2 days to the AdWords Display campaign and on monday I woke up with 15 clicks from the home page of "confused.com" at a CTR of 7.32% , even if I targeted only the romanian language, and the home page of that website has zero words in romanian.

GDN-bad-traffic.png

Also the invalid click rate from GDN is close to 15 %.

I guess the general audience from facebook is more used to click on several links before abandoning a resource ( kind of deep link browsing) and the audience from GDN is not the same.

Maybe facebook users are generally more curious, or the gender targeting in GDN is malfunctioning and on my landing page arrive a lot of men which are not an audience for the services and this is why they give up faster.

I guess I will test allocating a larger budget to facebook for a month and see how it works, since the CPA is lower.