1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

GDN contributing more clicks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I am observing that my GDN is contributing more clicks to the ad than the search network. How can I keep the balance between these two networks for clicks? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN contributing more clicks

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would use separate campaigns and separate budgets. If you have more clicks from the GDN, investigate from what sources and if those clicks are useful, as in lead to sales or not. They could be clicks from game related sites or the anonymous.google placement. 

Why do you need less clicks from GDN ? Are these not as useful as the Search network clicks and are using your budget too much ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Adrian,

I have ensured that those clicks are not from anonymous sites. However, my objective is to find the answer on the non-performance of search network. On the contrary, display bid is less than the search bid.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The main difference for the two campaigns is targeting. For the search campaign you use keywords, but the volume of traffic you capture depends on how many keywords, what match type you use ( less restrictive => more traffic) and their ad rank ( bids and QS). 

It is not unusual for the Display campaigns to capture more traffic than search, because their targeting is very different.

The first place I would look in the Search network is the following data columns in the Keywords Tab :  "Search impression share" , " Search Lost IS ( rank)" and "Search Lost IS ( budget)"

You may find some keywords where you have a very low value for "Search impression share" and start from those keywords to optimise. Look at their Quality score, if it is low or not, increase their bid up to the "Top of page bid estimate" if you want to gain more clicks.

If the "Search impression share" is over 90% for all keywords, it means you have no more traffic to obtain, and you need more keywords or less restrictive match type on the keywords you already have. For example if you have only exact match keywords, try adding some phrase match variations.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Can having only exact match keywords result in less traffic from search network?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello there;
What targeting methods are you using for the display campaign?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

I am using contextual targeting method. One more query, what if the keyword's search volume is low despite having good quality score?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, because the exact match means that people have to search only for those words in the exact order.

You can view the differences in traffic by inserting those keywords in the "Traffic estimator" component of the "Keyword planner". Read more about this tool from here : link    ( scroll to section entitled Get traffic estimates for a list of keywords)

For example here is how a phrase match can bring 16 times more impressions than the exact match on this keyword :

car-price-example-traffic-estimator.png

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@ Kapil;

Try adding another targeting method (in addition to keywords) to narrow  the targeting audiences.

As for the second question: if QS is good but search volume is low -I would keep the KW. (Think of having 10 impressions out of which 2 clicks - that's a nice CTR of 20%).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’