Guide Me
star_border

GDN contextual targeting: how specific?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a GDN targeting question: how specific should my different ad groups for 1 theme be? Would it mean I start bidding against myself if I have too many different ad groups targeting a similar theme (because the keywords are somewhat similar)?

For example, I want to create a GDN campaign to sell shoes.

Campaign: Shoes

Ad group 1: buy shoes

Ad group 2: buy shoes online

Ad group 3: online shoe shop

Should I put all my related keywords in 1 ad group (=greater control with bid adjustments?) or split them up (=to avoid bidding against myself?)? What is the best practise here?

Thanks for your input!

Levina

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN contextual targeting: how specific?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
I covered this topic in an article;
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Display-Network-How-many-Targeting-Methods-to-...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe, thanks for the link! I had read it actually, but still wasn't sure whether creating two themes that are somewhat alike (i.e. 'hiking shoes' and 'sport shoes'), would result in me bidding against myself or not. Would you still recommend to split those in different ad groups or not?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again @Levina D;

On the display network there is no limit to the number of banners which can be shown on a webpage by the same advertiser.

Thus the "similar themes", in different ad-groups  will not compete. If, for example,  two banner ads from different ad-groups win a slot, both can be shown,

It's actually a common practice to break banners into a few ad-groups and to bid higher on big banners and lower on smaller banners and the lowest on text ads (which occupy only one ad slot, hence CPC is  -relatively- the lowest).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’