Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

GDN Keyword targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Morning.

I am using keyword targeting on the gdn, i want to see the placements these terms are showing on, is this possible? I have looked at the placement tab, however this doesn't give me detail i need. 

cheers

Jonny

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN Keyword targeting

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jonny !

Unfortunately not even in the Analytics interface if you select "secondary column = keyword" you cannot see this detail.

All it shows me are expressions like "context targeting" because 1 keywords from your keyword list together with that webpage, are a "context" .

Even if the website has a search engine like the youtube you can only see how many clicks were related to one keyword.

no-keyword-in-context.png

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

The search query report represents  search queries that were matched to keywords in the Geo region targeted by your campaign;

So, if you are targeting the UK, the search query report represents search terms that matched keywords in your campaign, (and of course triggered an ad that was clicked);

Read more:

Understanding the Search terms report

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately this is only for the Search network, one cannot see the search terms from the search engines of a placement in the GDN.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hey Jonny,

Adwords does not allow to see the search term that triggers Google ads in GDN campaigns.
But you can see the placements, where your Google ads appeared.
However in your case you are not able to see, it might be your campaigns does not have enough data. Keep the campaigns running 2 to 3 days. it will start showing the Placement.
Then you can Exclude and add the placement in your campaigns depending upon the placement performance.

Hoping your doubt has been clearedSmiley Happy

Thanks,
Rakesh
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Adrian is correct. I did not notice that you mentioned "gdn" (I am used to GND or "display")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

A small adition to this subject :

1) You can go to the Ads tab, click on the "Segment" button and chose "Keywords/Placement" and according to the time-frame selected, you can see which placements worked better with which ads. For example you can see if 1 placement received the most clicks ( or conversions) in combination with all Ads, and bid higher on that placement.

2) In the exclusions "Category" you can chose a useful option that ensures your ads to receive an "upper" position on the pages, it is called "below the fold" exclusion, described here :

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/abovethefold.html

I have experienced tripled CTR after chosing this and testing it for a few days. Some placements chose to place the AdSense box very low on their pages and users rarely get a chance to look at the ads.

This setting and other exclusions (like Mobile sites ) help targeting the GDN.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the advice, annoyingly we cannot  track conversions so its making it very difficult to optimise, essentially i can't see which placements are working and which are not.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh but you can see what placements have received clicks and resulted in conversions in the analytics interface.

Generate the following "Shortcut report" by navigating to :

Traffic Sources / Advertising / Adwords / Placements

You just need to setup "Goals" in analytics, just like conversions in adwords.

Here is about Goal Types

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3046660?hl=en&ref_topic=1007030

and here is about setting them up

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415?hl=en&ref_topic=1007030

Also I think that after a while , usually more than 48 hours, the automatic placements start to appear in the Adwords interface too, after they received clicks.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Unfortunately not, the client won't use analytics, its a nightmare to be honest Smiley Happy