Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

GDN Campaigns Optimization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm currently launching several campaigns for GDN (Topics / Interests / Contextual Targeting). 

I want to reach specific metrics as targeted impressions, clicks & CTR. However, I face some difficulties to see clear in the way of optimizing GDN. I have data for several days now and what I've done so far is to pause the campaigns/ad groups having a CTR lower than 0.10% (my target being 0.15% at least).

How can I optimize better these campaigns pls?

Thanks a lot 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thery B
September 2015

Re: GDN Campaigns Optimization

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Thery,

Welcome to the community!

There is good thread that discuss about the GDN Campaign Optimization: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Best-Practice-Google-Display-Network-and-co...

If you still have some questions you can ask.

Cheers,
Rupesh
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thery B
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,
Actually, this question is so general, even one article can't cover all the optimization ways you can follow, but let me write some hints to you:

# First of all, Make sure that you have a well-structured campaign that composed of tightly themed ad groups contain a specific number of keywords, well-structured campaign will be easier to manage and optimize.

# Exclude irrelevant keywords can help you prevent your ad to show on pages about irrelevant topics

# Select placement and topics and Try to exclude irrelevant site and topics

# Use Remarketing to reach a specific audience

# Keep testing ads (no matter the format)

# Adjust your bids

Refer to the following articles to read more about GDN optimization:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549129?hl=en
https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?answer=2497680

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Indeed my question was broad in order to see where you start your GDN optimization.

After having enough data to optimize, I'm currently excluding the different placements having CTR lower than what I want. CTR being my main KPI, I think that it's the best solution to provide the best results for this campaign.

However, I'm still facing some difficulties to provide information concerning GDN consequence on a website. I'm facing some difficulties to target precisely what GDN brings to my website in term of quality visits (no clicks).

Thank you for your help!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thery,

"How can I optimize better these campaigns pls?"

Have you tried as targeting the Interest categories "In-Market buyers (ROI) " ?

Also try "Avid Investors" as targeting from "Afinity categories (reach) " . 

"Interests" target users with a certain behaviour across placements, rather than just placements.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I started to add a large number of interests in order to see which one was performing or not. For these 2 interests, no i don't have them but I have an Interest Category called "Investing".

Does it go along with your question?

Thanks

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes targeting "Investing" should isolate your Ad group traffic to follow the pages visited by people interested in all kinds of investments.

But I think the strongest intent to convert is from users identified by google in the sub-categories of "In-Market buyers (ROI).

Don't just add the top category, rather add many sub-categories of interests and you may notice how some convert well while others do not so later you can pause the interests which are not useful.