AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

GDN Ad Group spend decline

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I have a  problem with my Display Network Ad-group where the spend has seemingly randomly disappeared overnight.

After some initial tinkering my ads 'matured' and my spend over the past 45 days has been well in excess of £1,200 per day.

However, a few days ago the daily spend dropped as follows:

£1,491.67
£1,416.00
£1,093.64
£788.24
£581.85
£478.52

£220.19

I have compared and studied almost every metric available to me on the Adwords panel and I am seeing no downward trend other than in my reach:

CPC - same as history

CTR - same as history

Relative CTR - same as history

Display Imp. Share - this is always <10% so I can not view a percentage change

QS - as far as I am aware this is not viewable?

Impressions - steep decline
Spend - steep decline

It is worth pointing out the following:

• the account is well-funded
  • the campaign nor ad-group is not reaching it's daily/monthly/whatever spend
  • other campaigns on the same account are continuing as normal
  • my ads are not seasonal
  • my ads are broad bid across the entire display network
  • the ads that are spending have had no changes made to them for 45 days

Regarding bidding - the ads are set to automatically bid at a targeted CPA. Over the past 45 days Adwords has spent roughly 10% higher than my target CPA, but I am okay with this.

Last week I attempted to upload some new ads which were declined for 'Trick-to-Click' - I subsequently removed these declined ads.

The only theory I have is that my ads have been automatically reviewed by Google and the Quality Score has been killed - is this is a viable theory, and if so, how can I confirm it?

Otherwise, I am at a loss. 

Suggestions and help more than welcome!

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN Ad Group spend decline

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Alan,

What's the targeting criteria in the ad group?

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Sumanth,

The ad group is set to CPA and so automatically bid for me. There are no targeting restrictions so as far as I know I am bidding across the entire network.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Did this coincide with the end of the month?

The reason I ask is that Google is "allowed" to overspend on the daily budget by up to 20% on any given day... if there has been overspend earlier in the month then they have to correct this towards the end of the month to keep within the limit of 30.4 x daily budget...

How much has been spent in October compared to how much could have been spent if the daily budget had been spent every day - i.e. daily budget x 30.4?

if these numbers are close this could answer the question. Also - did the numbers jump back again at the start of the month?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Steve,

The spend began declining on the 30th of October but has continued it's steep decline into the first 3 days of this month. It'll be easier if I date the spend:

28th £1,491.67
29th £1,416.00
30th £1,093.64
31st £788.24
1st £581.85
2nd £478.52
3rd £220.19

The daily budget is essentially uncapped so the campaign has not overspent on the daily budget, however the target CPA overspent by roughly 20% across the month of October. The reduction in spend will not effect the overall target CPA though as the volume is so low.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alan,

I'm wondering if any of your other ads were reviewed after some were disapproved. Are all of your top performing ads still ruining? Even if they day they are active, I would hover over the speech bubble and see if they are all actually being served. I would also check to see if any have been moved to "approved limited". Do any specific placements show a major decrease in impressions? Have you added any automatic placements to be managed placements recently and/or have you excluded any placements?

You mentioned that you are targeting everything - just to be clear - are you using managed placements, keywords, interests and topics all within the ad group in question? Have you always used CPA bidding or did you recently switch from a different bidding strategy?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Amy,

My top performing ads are still running. As I am on the display network I do not have a speech bubble, but as there is still a spend (though steeply declined) they are obviously still being shown.

No specific placements show an abnormal decrease compared to the rest. No change in placement exclusions or additions.

I am using automatic and managed placements in 2 separate ad groups. Both are set to CPA and have been since the beginning.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Alan,

What's the billing method you're using? Could you check if there are any issues with billing?

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Sumanth,

As addressed in the original post there are no issues with billing.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
OK - we're just kind of throwing things out now - so another thing to check is the conversions themselves.

Are you getting the same kind of conversion numbers you have always been getting?

If, for whatever reason, your site is failing to report the conversions then the CPA goes through the roof and Google will panic and stop serving most of the ads since it feels unable to reach the CPA... just a thought.