5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

From CPC campaign to CPM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone, I am currently running a CPC campaign, but want to change it to a CPM campaign. Should I create a brand new CPM campaign or just change the bid in the current CPC campaign to CPM?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: From CPC campaign to CPM

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Angela, you could simply switch the bid strategy in the settings but personally I'd make a new Campaign.

CPC and CPM are not just different bidding models, they're mostly used for entirely different advertising purposes.  CPC tends to be mostly about provision, i.e. clicks to buy a product or service, whereas CPM tends to be used primarily for brand awareness rather than raw sales.  As such, CPC and CPM Campaigns will usually be quite different in their targets, their Ads, landing pages, etc.

Can you give us some more information about why you want to switch?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

thank you for your response. I am running a couple of remarketing campaigns and the traffic I am getting with the CPC model is very low. So I decided to change the bidding model to see if I can get more traffic, but I was sure what was the best way to go about it.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Angela, the bid strategy - CPC or CPM - is not going to change the traffic you receive.  The Ads will look the same for either model so if people aren't clicking the Ads under CPC they're not going to click them under CPM.  If you're thinking CPM will allow your Ad to be shown more often and therefore have a chance for more clicks, that's not how really how it works.  Since CPM Ads compete in the same auction as CPC Ads, even though you're paying per impression rather than click, CPM Ads still have an effective CPC which will be pretty much what the actual CPC is/was under a CPC bid strategy.

If you're not getting traffic the questions you should be asking are about the Ad Copy/Content and the matching/targeting relevance rather than the bid strategy.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank Jon!
That makes a lot of sense, what I am going to try is develop a couple of difference banners with new creative in more ad formats.

thanks again
Angela

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Angela, are you advertising on the Search network as well?  Well chosen Keywords used on the Search network can almost guarantee traffic - provided people are looking for your service/product.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,
I am running some search campaigns, but we wanted to test the remarketing campagins as a pilot.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Angela
some possible reasons you are not getting so much traffic from your remarketing campaign:
a) you re-markerting list is small
b) your target group doesn´t visit display ad placements to a great extent
c) you have narrowed your target group (by mistake perhaps) by choosing a re-marketing list AND a topic, interest category, or else
d) you have ads in too few formats
e) you creatives are ... not that creative

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cobnut! you look experienced guy.. well i need your recommendation, i have a campaign with ctr 4.50 (CPC) and i am thinking to change it to CPM, i think it will be more cheap for me in CPM, visitors are targeted cause i have choose keywords very care fully, i am running campaign for Sale. waiting for your reply... Thanks in advance