2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Foreign Search Terms when I've set language to English

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could someone help me with clarifying how language targeting works? Google's explanation in AdWords Help doesn't seem to address my situation. I work with a high-tech B2B product that has many potential users worldwide, so we have set our ads to run in several foreign countries. However, most of our target users are educated, and will be able to read English, so we have our language targeting set to English.

When I check the Search Terms report, many of the search terms are in foreign languages. Why would this be?

Thanks for any insight on this.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Foreign Search Terms when I've set language to English

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Could you provide us with an example regarding the Search Term (in foreign language) and the associated keyword of yours?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Ohhh...Just answered a similar question in another discussion:

I had that with words that are universally accepted, and used in their Latin / English form(s) in other languages. Mainly common, with technical terms. I had that with "carbon dioxide"....

If you use broad match you can find that your keyword has synonyms in many other languages. 

The way to approach it  is to Geo target  to the main regions where you sell.   You don't really mind  if your ad is triggered by a synonym in the local language in a territory where you sell.

For example: if you sell carbon dioxide equipment in Russia, you don't much worry if your ad is triggered by "carbon dioxide",  "CO2", or by the Russian equivalent to CO2.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Great job, Moshe. That's the most likely explanation ... Robot LOL