AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

For old campaigns that are no longer relevant - should I pause or delete them?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do the two options affect my QS?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I'd recommend to pause, should you wish to resume them again in the future.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Steve,

Adding to Moshe's point, pausing the campaigns retains the historical statistics that you would lose if you decided to delete them.

These will be beneficial should you ever decide to restart the campaign.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Agree with Moshe, it doesn't hurt to just pause them, and than set your UI to only show active campaigns, so it won't take up the extra space and brain battery.

In terms of QS, past history is somewhat of an indicator on future QS, so in the event you turn back on the campaign it will help to have keywords that already have an established good ranking, especially now that many new keywords will get no ranking for some time.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Steve H,

I think it's a matter of personal preference. If you might want to reactivate the campaign later, pause it. If you are never going to reactivate the campaign, delete it.

Contrary to popular opinion, deleting a campaign does not remove its history. The history is always available, you just need to select a different date range and be sure to include "All" campaigns.

As far as affecting your overall account, there's really no difference between pausing and deleting a campaign. Keywords not only have history within campaigns, they also have a history associated with the domain. Using keywords in a new campaign for the same domain should retain at least some of the QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I pause mine, these way you keep historical data. I don't think it has any effect on the QS of your other ads. 

Cheers,