5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Fluctuation in ad serving

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have often seen fluctuation in numbers after refreshing my page in ad serving percentage and even in impressions. What can be the reason behind it?

Re: Fluctuation in ad serving

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Kapil,

By fluctuation you mean you happen to see less impressions when looking later at the statistics ?

At what menu are you looking ? Dashboard, All Campaigns, just one campaign, an ad group, the keywords tab, the placements tab if it is a display campaign , other ?

What type of campaign are you running ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes,

I have couple of ad groups, and every time I refresh the page at the campaign level, I see some fluctuation. One of them shows lower impressions and ad serving %. I am running search only campaign.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no reason why impressions per ad group in a campaign might decrease during the day. It can only increase.

If you were to talk about clicks , there could have been a reason if google detected invalid clicks it removes them later from the paid click count and adds them to the "Invalid clicks" column, but it does not remove also the impressions associated with the invalid clicks.

How big is this variation ? For example at minute 1 you see 100 impressions and at minute 5 you see 50 impressions for the same ad group ?

Could you try clearing the cache from your browser ? I can only think it could be a browser problem.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok. I will try clearing browser cache. Let see if this helps.

Kapil M

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kapil,

There is always a time lag when it comes to Clicks,impression & convesions. You will not get exact data on the very moment itself.

I will encourage you to read this article Determining your data's freshness

Hope this Helps!

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Azeem,

Thanks for your feedback. However, will it create any fluctuation in impressions and ad serving percentage?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi PPC Tuneup, 

Yes there is a time lag but do you know of any reason why impressions should be less as the data is updated ? I think they can only increase at the ad group level.

@Kapil,

I suppose you haven't deleted keywords from that Ad Group when looking at it the second time, when you saw less impressions.

Deleted keywords also mean not viewing their impressions in the ad group total under campaign, as they are no longer enabled or paused, you can view a total of all "deleted keywords" at the bottom of the tabel.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Adrian, honestly i never came across such an issue on Search Network and i think it should not lower the impressions in any case. But it happened with me once on Display Network, later on reading the help articles it was mentioned that isnormal.
It is mentioned in this article:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375397?hl=en&ref_topic=3121937

@Kapil, how big the discrepancies is ? can you share the before and after figures ? IMO, I think you should give some time to the data to update before jumping to the conclusion. Compare your last couple of days data.
BTW is it really affecting your campaigns overall performance ?

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Azeem,

Although the difference is not too much, but I am still not able to understand the reason. To give you an example, let say now, I see 38 impression for a particular ad group and after say 15-20 minutes it is showing 25 impressions.