Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Flexible Bid Strategies and Automated Rules

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello fellow PPCers,

Can Flexible Bid Strategies - Maximizing Clicks and Automated Rules be on at the same time?  I have a number of automated rules set and running in my campaigns already. I noticed my impression volume is low in all my campaigns and I really need to spend the budget and get the most amount of clicks possible.  So I decided to try out the Flexible Bid Strategies - Maximize Clicks option.  Is it good, bad, or ugle to have both of these strategies running at the same time?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Jean

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Flexible Bid Strategies and Automated Rules

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

There's nothing wrong with what you're trying, per se, but it depends what the automated rule is? Is it to raise bids to first page estimate, alongside the maximise clicks flexible bid option?

Google will just prioritise one over the other, and if there's a conflict or error it will email you (as long as you ticked the box to receive notifications when you set the automated rule up).

Cheers
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jean, thanks for a great question.  You should avoid any combination that operates on the same properties within your Account so, if your Automated Rules are adjusting Max. CPC of your Keywords and your Flexible Bid Strategy is also adjusting Max. CPC then the two will be in conflict and you should use one or the other.

However, your question says that you're looking to increase your impression volume and this may not be a CPC issue.  Low impressions can be caused by a lack of daily budget or poor Ad Rank, or both, and you'll need to check the Search Lost IS (Budget) and Search Lost IS (Rank) columns to determine the cause.  If you're showing any figure other than 0% (or nothing at all) under "Budget" then the only solution is to increase your daily budget for the relevant Campaign.  If the loss is primarily under "rank" then increasing CPC will help, but you should also look at your Quality Scores as improving these will also help Ad Rank.  

More about tracking Impression Share

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jack and Jon for your feedback and advice! I will take another look to make sure my flexible strategies are not overlapping with my automated rules. I have a few rules that do adjust max. CPC based on avg. position and other metrics. I will adjust accordingly.

My main goal really is to spend the budget and get the most amount of clicks for the account. I've made optimizations to improve my Quality Score and hope it will help. One thing I did notice is that because I'm opted into the flex strategies, I am unable to manually increase my bids to improve my avg. position. I can adjust my daily budgets per campaign but I'm not sure if this even makes a difference because the flex strategy is set to spend $230/day across all the campaigns in the account. Perhaps I should increase that daily budget and see what happen.

Thanks again!
Jean