AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

First post locked/removed - Issue with video placements [Had response from @MosheTLV]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I posted this but it seems to be locked and is no longer showing on here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Problem-With-Video-Discovery-Plac... - It seems to suggest there's a response from @MosheTLV, however it's locked, and does not show the first posters reply?

Odd, anyway, I replied back to someone and explained. I have however just found this here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-for-Video/Placement-Targeting-Fail-Any-Suggestions... - Someone suggests it's best to only use the display and NOT the (search) - I must confess both were being used for my friends campaign so I assume our issue would be related.

@MosheTLV I updated the original post and explained now he used display + search, sorry for the confusion as I think it was wrong before.

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lisa C
March 2017

First post locked/removed - Issue with video placements [Had response from @MosheTLV]

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Pls. Double check;

When you pick two targeting methods the AND condition applies ad will be shown on a given placement only if keywords are matched to the content  of the page. 

I think you are confusing keywords for search and for videos.

With YT video pick only one additional targeting method.

If this is confusing, as for many advertisers, run ads  only on YT videos and only one additional targeting method. (Skip YT search for now)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Lisa C;

Indeed, it's strange, and seems to be a bug.

Please re-post your original question here;

Thank you

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for responding again to me @MosheTLV - I'll go ahead and paste it both in the above post and below on here in case it's too large to fit:

=========================

Hello Everyone,

First and foremost I appreciate you taking the time to read my problem, so a good friend of mine contacted me (he is nearly 75) and a good friend of our family and he mentioned some issues he's faced with (Video Discovery) adverts. 

Once he has setup the advert he seems to be getting charged, even know when looking via the: Placements / Where ads were shown / the advert appears to be seen by 100% inaccurate target audiences mostly. 

Unfortunately it's left a sour taste in his mouth and he has since pulled the advert, I can say however that upon checking everything myself the keywords / bids / and everything were setup correctly, nothing looked wrong actually so I could not offer him any reasons.

Thus why I'm here today guys seeking some help to go back with. Instead of me rambling on I'll break it down based on what I see as being the problem, and then hopefully someone can fill in the blanks for me.

Okay, so when setting up the campaign you have two options: 1. add your own keywords 2. select something from the default (interests) box. - Now I can say he ignored the interests and used his own keywords, which is logical so why then when looking here:

Placements / Where ads were shown 

Was his advert showing on Israel / English videos and everywhere across the network. He uses YouTube search and YouTube Videos, using German language keywords, and I saw his advert literally being seen on very random videos such as DIY videos and worse. 

Any help regarding this would be fantastic. 

Thanks 

===================

EDIT: I'm not able to edit the original post actually, so I have just posted it above ^ or follow the link and view it: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Problem-With-Video-Discovery-Plac...

Also, as mentioned I have just found this here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-for-Video/Placement-Targeting-Fail-Any-Suggestions... - Someone suggests it's best to only use the display and NOT the (search) - I must confess both were being used for my friends campaign so I assume our issue would be related.

Thanks 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Lisa C;

Correct; I did see your other post  (somehow removed because of a technical bug - not sure how... I apologize). If you choose placements you should check the YouTube videos in the campaign settings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MosheTLV,

Aright, thanks and I assume it's best to avoid the (search) when using the videos setting too?. Could that be what was causing his issue when seeing the advert placed in front of the wrong audiences.

Thanks 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I would say pick both YT Search and YouTube video and another targeting method (e.g., keywords, topics, placements) to narrow the targeting audience.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MosheTLV,

To be honest what you suggested above in the previous post is exactly what he used. Both search/video was used and also targeted keywords, but the problem was when looking via the Placements / Where ads were shown / the advert appears to be seen by 100% inaccurate target audiences mostly. 

Thanks 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lisa C
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Pls. Double check;

When you pick two targeting methods the AND condition applies ad will be shown on a given placement only if keywords are matched to the content  of the page. 

I think you are confusing keywords for search and for videos.

With YT video pick only one additional targeting method.

If this is confusing, as for many advertisers, run ads  only on YT videos and only one additional targeting method. (Skip YT search for now)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MosheTLV,

Ah, right I see what you're saying now. Thank you very much illI'll pass this on to my friend so he can make some new adverts. I appreciate the help!

Thanks