3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Filtering out non-performing queries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Something I do regularly to optimize my campaigns is to review query reports. I run the report from 60 days ago to 6 months before that, because I figure every query should be ‘given a chance’ to run at least 2 months before deciding if it will live or die. I then take the report, filter out converting kw’s (which I add to the campaign) and then any kw with no conversions, more than 1 click, and a cost of more than zero, is on the chopping block.

But I’ve come across a problem….I have an adgroup where I run kw A as a broad, and then kw B as an exact. The query report shows that there is a query that is the same as kw B, but it was triggered by kw A. So if I add that query as a negative, then it will also prevent kw B from showing.

Does anyone have a better way of filtering out non-performing queries while being sure not to hurt any performing kw’s in the same adgroup that happen to also be the same as any of the non-performing queries? 

Thx

Re: Filtering out non-performing queries

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Would you be able to please clarify the following, with the actual information?

- Actual Keywords in your account that you are referring to: what is kwA and kwB?

- What is the actual search query in your keyword report?

- Which of your keywords triggered the ad, and was it the broad or exact match version?

Thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
kwA is +blinds (broad), kwB is blinds (exact).
The search query is blinds.
Kw +blinds triggered the query.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Robert,

Please forgive me - still a little confused as to what you are trying to do exactly.

If the query 'blinds' triggered an ad through either +blinds or [blinds] in your keyword list, why are you looking to add it as a negative keyword? It seems relevant in either case.

Just trying to understand the issue better Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alex,

No worries! It all goes back to my initial question as to the strategy I am using. I am indeed NOT looking to exclude this query, but per the method I use, it says I should (and so unless I go through every query to see if it exists somewhere else as an active kw on its own, it will get added as a negative). That is why I was asking if anyone has a better way of paring down the queries, while ensuring never to throw out the baby with the bath water. Hope that is clearer!