AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Filtering out non-performing queries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Something I do regularly to optimize my campaigns is to review query reports. I run the report from 60 days ago to 6 months before that, because I figure every query should be ‘given a chance’ to run at least 2 months before deciding if it will live or die. I then take the report, filter out converting kw’s (which I add to the campaign) and then any kw with no conversions, more than 1 click, and a cost of more than zero, is on the chopping block.

But I’ve come across a problem….I have an adgroup where I run kw A as a broad, and then kw B as an exact. The query report shows that there is a query that is the same as kw B, but it was triggered by kw A. So if I add that query as a negative, then it will also prevent kw B from showing.

Does anyone have a better way of filtering out non-performing queries while being sure not to hurt any performing kw’s in the same adgroup that happen to also be the same as any of the non-performing queries? 

Thx

Re: Filtering out non-performing queries

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Would you be able to please clarify the following, with the actual information?

- Actual Keywords in your account that you are referring to: what is kwA and kwB?

- What is the actual search query in your keyword report?

- Which of your keywords triggered the ad, and was it the broad or exact match version?

Thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
kwA is +blinds (broad), kwB is blinds (exact).
The search query is blinds.
Kw +blinds triggered the query.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Robert,

Please forgive me - still a little confused as to what you are trying to do exactly.

If the query 'blinds' triggered an ad through either +blinds or [blinds] in your keyword list, why are you looking to add it as a negative keyword? It seems relevant in either case.

Just trying to understand the issue better Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alex,

No worries! It all goes back to my initial question as to the strategy I am using. I am indeed NOT looking to exclude this query, but per the method I use, it says I should (and so unless I go through every query to see if it exists somewhere else as an active kw on its own, it will get added as a negative). That is why I was asking if anyone has a better way of paring down the queries, while ensuring never to throw out the baby with the bath water. Hope that is clearer!