Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Filter Out Traffic without Remarketing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently discovered that a good chunk of my ad spend is from my current customers. Is there any way I can filter them from seeing my ads? I already have a remarketing tag tracking them... but I don't want them to click on ads designed for new folks. I don't think that targeting a re-marketing list will work, as it will filter out people who have never been to my site, thus defeating the purpose of having these ads up... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter Out Traffic without Remarketing

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I suppose you are talking about a search network campaign.

If you want only your past customers to avoid seeing the current campaign, create a list using the Rule about who visited the "Thank you page" , the final step of the purchase (something like URL = thank_you.html ) .

Then go to the Audiences tab in the campaign and exclude just this audience. If it has over 1000 visitors of the thank you page it can be activated ( this is a condition of the Remarketing Lists for Search Ads , 1000 cookies). Set the audience duration to 180 days since this is the maximum you can set for a RLSA audience, this way you can exclude all your past buyers from the last 6 months.

You can read more from here about Excluding specific audiences from an ad group

Remember that if a past visitor :

1) clears the cache and cookies from the browser or

2) browse from a different browser than the initial one which resulted in a visit to the thank you page,

they can still see your ads. The mechanism is browser specific, not user related.

Before doing this, are you sure that these past customers will not be motivated by the paid ads to buy more items ? You want to up-sell to them by other means like email or phone ?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually not at all - i was looking for options to use with standard keyword searches on google.com and search partners - not display... so this answer doesn't help Smiley Sad i am starting to think this is just at the nice-to-have stage, and isn't a possibility w/in google adwords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kittun
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

Even if the help page explains how to exclude audiences for Display Campaigns it works the same for Search campaigns. The only problem is that the audience needs to be at least of 1000 visitors to be targeted or excluded in a search campaign.

[Edit] : Here is a print-screen with the steps 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kXqO3eH9vJX1F0UjB4cm5qd2M/edit?usp=sharing

[end edit]

There is also this option :
- add the audience as a targeting
- change the setting from "Target and bid" to "Bid" and
- adjust the bid for this audience to -100%

It works the same as an exclusion.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Kittun, as Adrian says at the end of his post, I would strongly recommend that you very carefully consider the impact of your actions before trying to restrict these "previous visitors".  It's actually quite common to find that conversions require more than one paid Ad click and if you were able to prevent that you could do more damage than good.

For example, I have a client where over 40% of sales require 2 or more clicks on paid Ads.  OK, if I were somehow able to not show their Ads after the first click they might still find the site again via the organic listing but they might not and they might click on a competitor instead to make the final sale.

Take a look at the Time Lag report in your AdWords Account.  If your Lag is only a day or so, you might want to consider why your repeat customers click your Ads rather than an organic listing, i.e. can you improve your SEO or the META information for your site, the page titles, etc.  Do you include clear links back to your site in sale emails?  Is your URL memorable, easy to spell and type?

If your customers come back frequently you could try putting a simple "Bookmark this page" on your site - the code to do this is very simple and readily available online.

More about Search Funnel Reports - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en

(Time Lag is a way down the page)

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cool - thanks for the advice everyone Smiley Happy