AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Fewer ads showing on Google.com then Affiliate Search sites - Why?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I type one of my keywords into a Norton or Alexa Toolbar search field ("powered by Google"), the results page typically shows three ads at the top (usually including one of mine) and another six at the side.  But if I do the same search on Google.com I see maybe 1 or 2 ads at the top (not including mine!) and NO ads down the right side.  It wasn't always this way.  Why is Google.com showing fewer ads?  Has Google changed something? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Loopy
September 2015

Re: ad is not appearing on Google's search results

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Loopy; welcome;

The best way to check which ads are shown to a "random" user in real-time is by using the ad-preview tool. Checking on your machine may bias the results. (Cookies are stored. At some point ads stop showing if not clicked. The ad preview tool does not store cookies).

Norton / Alexa are Google search partners. Though the auction algorithm (that ranks ads and determines which ad is eligible to appear) is the same, google.com might not include some ads that do not meet a certain threshold.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the helpful response, MosheTLV. I'm a bit surprised that Google.com would suppress ads that it allows to appear on partner sites.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Loopy,

I don't think it's a matter of suppressing ads on Google.com. Typically, response from Google.com is far grater than response from search partners. Because of this, impressions on Google.com often will require a higher bid than Search Partners. There are a couple things you might try.

First, consider increasing your bids to get a better ad rank, and therby get more impressions on Google.com. This should not have the effect of increasing your actual CPC on Search Partners, but it will give you a better shot at impressions on Google.com.

Second, you can set up two campaigns, one for Google and one for Search Partners. There's a little trick to doing this. AdWords does not offer the option of Search Partners only campaign. But you can set up 2 identical campaigns, one targeting Google only, the other targeting both Google and Search Partners. Set the bids for the Google only campaign higher than the bids for both networks. The higher bids in the Google only campaign will over-ride the bids in the "both" campaign. When you're eligible for impressions on the Search Partners, only the "both" campaign will be eligible, so the lower bids take effect.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords