AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Fewer Impressions Now that QS Has Increased? Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had ad groups with most keywords at QS 3 and 4.  The problem was a poor landing page.  I was told to improve it, which would make the QS rise, resulting in more impressions and lower cpc.  So I did that, and now my QS scores are 6s and 7s.  Yea.  Not great but a lot better.  And yet, now my ads are getting FEWER than half the impressions that they were before, and the cpc has gone up.   Same exact keywords.  Same exact ad text.  Just a new and improved landing page.  And the old ad groups are paused.

This makes no sense to me.   Does anyone know why this is happening?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Fewer Impressions Now that QS Has Increased? Why?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Please understand that improvement in QS is not a one day job. It takes time when the advertisers work upon different important metrics that are involved in assigning a mathematical number to your keyword called Quality Score. You should be happy that this important metric has improved for your keywords.

Now you need to gather traffic to this particular landing page and see if that's more relevant to what you were advertising in the past or not. Review the Google Analytics metrics like Avg. Session duration, Bounce Rate, New visits etc... and compare it with old landing page or website to get some real data for analysis.

Review the Competitive metrics Search Impression Share and Search Exact Match Impression Share to see where this metric has gone down, so that it can be worked upon by either adding more exact match keywords or other relevant search terms.

You might also want to run some of the multiple Content Experiments and see which landing pages work best for you. More details are here:- https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147?hl=en&ref_topic=1745207&rd=1

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Pankaj, for the reply. I did some checking. I brought over all the keywords with the same match type to the new ad group. They are all phrase match but were triggering exact matches in the old ad group. In the new ad group, the keywords are only triggering phrase matches, which has caused the impressions to drop. I don't know why the exact match keywords are not being triggered now. Should I add those exact matches that were before triggered by the phrase match keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, so I added exact match keywords and that seems to be helping with impressions. Seems odd to me that exact match get more than phrase match.