star_border

Fantastic landing page alignment, "below average experience"

[ Edited ]
elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Almost all of my ads have a quality score of 3 or 4. And uniformly, they report a below average landing page experience as the only thing wrong.

I have different landing pages on different servers with different themes, yet uniformly they bomb.

One ad group is specifically about the core concept of the product. The keywords targeted appear in the title of the ad, the title of the landing page, the content of the landing page, and are pervasive throughout the rest of the site. The keyword is what the product is about. Searching on that term shows the same page as the first organic result in Google (from a fresh browser, not just for me).

The page is designed by a top-class designer, has very little busyness and clear calls to action. It is a highly-trusted, highly-trafficed site from an established, respected company. It is running on a dedicated cluster of servers and it loads in under 30 milliseconds. Oh, and the ads get a 6.74% CTR in the past 30 days.

Google won't tell me why it has a poor experience. What can I do? My best option I can figure is to stop wasting my money on AdWords, since my low quality scores are resulting in expensive bids for me.

Is there any way to know what Google thinks is wrong with my landing pages?

4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Fantastic landing page alignment, "below average experience&q

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi elm,

Landing page experience is one of the great mysteries of AdWords. It doesn't really help much to have your keywords as the title of the page, or if the keywords appear on the page. They are not really measuring relevance of the page to your ad. These is some indication and discussion that page bounce rates could be involved, or that conversions from that landing page could be involved.

Whenever Google says "relevance", they are really talking about user interaction. It has very little to do with the actual content of the page. "Relevance" for a keyword means a good CTR. Relevance for an ad means a good CTR for the keyword/ad combination. To evaluate the landing page, simple CTR can't be used, so they look at user interaction in a different way. They don't tell us exactly what that is. So, make it the best you can then work on things you can control--keywords, bids, ad copy.

The thing about QS and CTR is it is a comparative score. It's comparing your CTR to the CTR of other advertisers using the same keyword. You're getting 6.74% CTR, maybe your competition is getting 10%. That would cause a lower QS with a CTR that appears to be good.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Fantastic landing page alignment, "below average experience&q

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

With respect to @petebardo , let me offer a slightly different thought.

First, it's true that CTRs vary dramatically from one industry to another, he's quite correct. What would be a fantastic CTR for your ads/keywords in one market may be barely competitive in another. However, CTR really isn't a factor when it comes to landing page quality scores.

Neither is bounce rate the major factor  (a common misconception)

Nor, and this may surprise you, are keywords the most important element. Keyword stuffing your landing page isn't a good move. Too many scammers used stuffing techniques to produce artificially high landing page scores--once the metric was adjusted to identify those, the presence of your exact keywords on your landing page(s) became much less of a quality factor. 

What matters is that your landing page offer unique content, provide a clear and useful navigation path for the visitor, and that your website as a whole builds "trust."  This means including things like a sitemap, full company location and contact details, easy-to-access "contact us" pages, etc. 

How about a sitemap? The problem may be that the AdWords software can't really confirm that your keywords and your landing page are a good match. A good sitemap can help. If you already have a sitemap, have your developer review it to make sure that the Google 'bots aren't being blocked and that the code isn't causing problems. Not only do site visitors like sitemaps, they're useful to help Google's 'bots understand the content of your website.

When it comes to important words for your landing page(s), there are options. For instance, make sure your call-to-action or the benefit message you use in your ad text is repeated on your website--visitors being able to see exactly what they were 'promised' before they clicked the ads is very important.

Make your inquiry/buying process easy to navigate through and understand. (This will help you make the most of the visitors you're attracting. 

What about mobile traffic? Are you serving it?  If you are, have you double-checked how your website pages and inquiry/buying process function on mobile devices?

And, finally, keywords. Smiley Happy  They're not the only important factor, but they do matter. Review the keywords in your campaign(s). Review the search queries that are being matched to your keywords to trigger your ads. It may be that you have too many keywords that are only tangentially related to your product/service. While those might produce a conversion occasionally, the value of the purchase probably won't outweigh the increased CPC you're paying for serving low-quality keywords throughout the campaign.

Also, check your keyword match types. If you're relying heavily on broad match, your keywords may be attracting such a wide spectrum of search queries that your website really isn't relevant to those searchers.

I could go on and on but I've already gone on for too long. The point I'm trying to make is that the mysterious magic that is "landing page quality" is partly out of our control, yes, but you can affect it by constructing the best quality campaign(s) and landing page(s) you can build. There are a ton of articles and blog posts about good landing pages all over the 'net--you can do a search and read up on the topic if you want to.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have exactly the same problem 

I post a single question, I am glad to heard lot of experts advices, than we use already (unfortunately we don't get above average experience) so where are real examples of above average landing pages ? is there somebody who can give examples ? From now we didn't get any, this is strange , everybody gave advices (that is a good start ) but no one gave examples (proof that such advices work) , so perhaps the fact is that nobody get a above average landing page experience score ? if I am wrong please share a single example actually online it will help everybody there 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Stephane, what you are missing is this is a volunteer forum, we are advertising pros here to help other advertisers.  When you say things like:

"this is strange , everybody gave advices (that is a good start ) but no one gave examples (proof that such advices work)"

you are basically making a demand on the professionals participating here.  But what you don't appear to recognize, is that those contributing here are under no obligation to meet your demands.  The landing page of their clients highly successful campaigns are not necessarily fodder for throwing into a public forum just to prove something "because it was demanded".  And it may not be the appropriate thing to focus on, for reasons detailed in some of the responses. 

I treat my client's campaigns as their own intellectual property and would never use them as a public example, especially in response to a somewhat rude and pushy demand from someone I am under no obligation to assist. 

So kindly, lay off with the demands and be respectful to other contributors. Demanding the production of personal work product is inconsistent with the helpful and positive constructive environment established in this forum through much hard work, dedication, and generous contributions. Not to mention it is simply bad manners.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi steve

If I understand your answer we have to trust without proof but adwords is a process

if you really want to help the community here , we need examples, I don't ask for full disclosure of clients's accounts of course, I just ask for ONE LITTLE SINGLE EXAMPLE, is that already too much to ask ?

it is like "I am a professional tennisman" , ok great "can you show me how you serve ? " "eh no sorry this is contrary to my policy" is that a joke ?

without examples this is useless speaking for hours without any proof of nothing this is a complete waste of time, I don't see the point, professional experts normally have thousands of examples of above average , they can share one example without compromising anything, in contrary they can gain a lot of customers/followers/believers to do so , so my sub question is WHY they don't do it ? this is strange

this forum is made to help people to better advertise their business, with a better ads quality with better processes, am I wrong ? and the best way to do that is to give examples, this is not bad manners it is common sense. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

To answer your question, yes you are wrong. It is definitely bad manners, and quite rude to demand so-called "proof" in an accusatory tone. 

I will abstain from any further comments on your postings. My time is valuable and I prefer to deal with the positive!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Stephane G;

A quick search on Google will show dozens of results about the landing page experience, both on desktop and on mobile. A good place to start is this one:

https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/topics/create-better-mobile-user-experience.html

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Moshe 

I will dig into it and try for few weeks to get the above average than I will post here if succeed 

is there a source you know which list all the sub points one by one in details  , something like this is the call to action button than works , this is the navigation who work best etc ? perhaps an ebook ? 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

the one you shared is already very good , thanks