AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Fake Members with PPC ?

Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I made ​​many test Adwords.
To do this, a campaign is set and is never modified. (Witness Campaign)

In September 2011 I launched this campaign with a daily budget of € 50 which was neverconsummated, this campaign has enabled me to generate approximately 500 members.These 500 members have spent some money on my site that I can track reliably by querying my database directly.

In May 2012 I reactivated this campaign with a daily budget of € 250. This budget wasfully consumed for the duration of the campaign to generate 800 registered. Of the 800enrolled, the sales amount is five times lower than that achieved by the 500 registered in September 2011.

How is it possible with 50% enrolled in addition to having a 80% decrease in turnover?
No changes to the site was conducted between September 2011 and May 2012.

Google scam ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Fake Members with PPC ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Val,

I am not sure how many days of September 2011 are you comparing with May because this month is in the middle and still 16 days are left. So what statistics are you actually comparing and on what basis?

Please note that digital paid advertising is getting a make over very spontaneously. Advertisers and web administrators are making frequent changes to their websites, Adwords accounts so as to gain greater ROI compared to their past performances.

You said that 800 people were registered. Are you talking about any sign ups or registrations here? And most importantly, did you measure them using Google Adwords Conversion Tracking script or not?

There are lot of aspects which are unanswered here. If you could elaborate more on what you sell or what services are there on your website, it will become more easy for the Adwords Community to provide specific details to you.

Also you didn't mention whether you made any changes inside your Adwords campaigns or not?

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Val,

Welcome to the community.

I would put the decrease in quality leads down to the actual traffic itself rather than suggesting that Google are creating fake profiles, it wouldn't be feasible or logical for them to do this as you are only interested in a ROI and I imagine you have some sort of captcha in place also.

8 months have passed since you last used your AdWords campaign which in internet terms is a significant period. During this time it is possible that your industry has become more popular and therefore the market may have become saturated with people looking for a "free" alternative to the paid option.

These are obviously assumptions as I do not know your industry but I have a client who has niche dating websites, he offers a free signup with the option to become a full member which grants additional access and the ability to contact other members. Over two years he has noticed (like you) that there is an increase in member signups but not necessarily converting ones. He now sends me reports on which search terms actually convert into a paid member, I compare these against all the general conversions reported on the AdWords campaigns and then I'll generally pause / exclude keywords that are generating large volume conversions without turning into paid signups.

If you analyse your incoming search terms and compare which of them are bringing a ROI you have the opportunity to optimise your campaign and reduce wasted budget. I recommend that you start trying to improve your campaign if you are able to do so, there is plenty of information on the AdWords Help Centre and the members of these community are always eager to help.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response pankaj1782,

I probably misspoke, The site in question generates a volume registration constant throughout the year, there is no real season. I speak here as a result of registration form validation after which consume and some other benefits from a freemium model. Mytracking tool, followed by the Google Adwords conversions as well as my database have5 registrations gap is less than 1%. Everything is good here.

As I indicated no change in the Adwords campaign.

The campaign period is not a consumption factor, so I compare entries. How is it thatover 800 registered I have only one fifth of sales by 500 members a few months earlier?

I realize many other affiliate campaigns without having this problem.

Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you ScottyD

No captcha in place.
The market has not moved, the affiliate campaigns in parrallel have the same performance as two years earlier.

How is it that our listings natural, via the affiliation between emailing and others is notseen behavior change Adwords but have suddenly changed?

Forwards it is challenged, our tracking system has been tested before, during and aftercampaign and is identical to that used for the particular affiliation...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

By affiliate campaigns do you mean alternatives to AdWords such as MSN adCenter for example? If you do then are you getting similar amounts of traffic to that of your AdWords campaign?

My thinking is that if you are only getting smaller amounts with other marketing platforms then it is likely the paid conversion rate is going to have a higher ratio due to the smaller concentration of visitors. I imagine that if you matched the traffic you are receiving from AdWords then you would notice the ratio would slip with regards to how many members turn into paying customers. This can also be applied to the organic traffic as I'm guessing that AdWords brings in more visitors, these are again all assumptions though based on past experience.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use different platforms generate millions of visits with different budgets. The volume on Adwords has changed in 8 months. Yet this volume has not changed fordozens of affiliate networks that I work with.

So I am particularly interested in the difference in behavior of these 800 new members volume is sufficient for a relatively accurate statistics.
These included 800 of May that come from the same source as the 500 of September yet they consume 5-10 times less ...

It's not like we changed traffic sources ...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Val wrote:

I use different platforms generate millions of visits with different budgets. The volume on Adwords has changed in 8 months. Yet this volume has not changed fordozens of affiliate networks that I work with.

But are you taking into account the fact you increased the budget five-fold when making this observation?

[ Edited ]
Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Val
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not the cost per click, but the daily budget

Daily budget = Quality Score now ???

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

If you increase the budget but leave the cost per clicks as they are then it's natural that you will receive a larger amount of traffic. The daily budget does not influence the quality score, you can get more information regarding that here

Quality Score is off topic and not related to your original question though.