Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Extremely Low QS despite all quality requirements being satisfied

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with erroneous low Quality Scores driving up CPCs ridiculously.

I'm running a Campaign for a client who offers Caravan Repairs in Brisbane (their local city). The keyword in question is [caravan repairs Brisbane], the Ads use DKI in the Title and all mention the phrase "caravan repairs Brisbane" within the Ad text, the landing page is optimised for the phrase "caravan repairs brisbane" (it appears numerous times in the content and in title tags, H1s, etc), the page itself meets page speed and user experience metrics as per Google's Insights tool and User Experience guidelines outlined here, and I'm using all relevant Ad Extensions. The only thing that isn't optimised is the Landing Page URL, and that's only because the site's homepage is the page optimised for this particular keyword.

The Quality Score is 2. Expected Clickthrough Rate is Below Average, Landing Page Experience is Below Average, and the Ad Relevance only manages Average.

Here's the URL for the landing page: http://www.accuratecaravans.com.au/.

Even more frustratingly, the keyword [caravan repairs] - missing the specific location, but pointing to the exact same landing page - has a Quality Score of 5/10. Still lower than I'd like, but how is it even remotely possible that the more general keyword has a higher QS than the more specific keyword that even more closely matches the Ad / landing page copy and demonstrates a stronger connection with user search intent?

As a result of this ridiculous QS my keyword Avg. CPCs have blown out to an average of about $5.

Any suggestions for how I can get Google to recognise that I'm actually doing everything right and my landing page is not only relevant, but also a high quality website?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Extremely Low QS despite all quality requirements being satisfied

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Joe,

How long has the current situation been occurring?
How many keywords are in the ad group in question?
Are there are any non-DKI ads in the ad group?
Is the CTR above 3% for the keyword in question?
If you segment by device or network, is there an area with a low CTR?
What's the bounce rate in Analytics?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's been occurring since the campaign went live 21 days ago.
There are six active keywords, "caravan repairs" and "caravan repairs brisbane" both in the three match type variations (not broad match).
There are no non-DKI ads.
CTR is 5% over the last 21 days (lifetime of campaign).
CTRs for Mobile and Tablet are even higher, at 6.67% and 13.33%, respectively.
Bounce rate for Paid traffic is 63% in Analytics (although if QS is at all determined by Bounce rate that would be stupid, as Analytics would count any single-page site visit as a "Bounce" even if the user is able to complete a conversion action without visiting more than a single page).

Also worth noting, the Conversion rate for [caravan repairs Brisbane] is currently 5.56% overall (and 10% on Mobile devices). So even though the keyword is a demonstrably powerful converter, AdWords is shunning me and charging an arm and a leg for the clicks.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Well you are certainly doing everything right. The only suggestion I can make is that you should try non-DKI ads with Caravan Repairs Brisbane in the headline. There's not much advantage in using DKI in this case (because having Caravan Repairs Brisbane for a "caravan repairs" search should do very well anyway) , but it could be affecting your QS.

One other question though, have you ever run the same keywords somewhere else in the account (they might have inherited old data)?

Keep in mind that, although there is no evidence for this when I run your search, your CTR will be judged against your competitors and similarly themed ads. It is possible that a competitor was killing it in this space, making your results look ordinary.

Time and number of impressions can also be a factor when waiting for a QS update, although 21 days would seem reasonable for most people, and it looks like there are plenty of impressions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Originally the Ad Group had different variations of the keyword, substituting "caravan" with synonyms like "motorhome" and "rv". But all these keywords used unique final URLs (going to landing pages optimsied for that variation), and the default landing page for the Ad Group's ads has always been the page optimsied for Caravan servicing Brisbane. That's the reason I was using DKI, although the other variations had mostly negligible impressions so now they're switched off.

The whole account is new, so there's no historical data affecting things.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Joe,

If you've tried absolutely everything, rename the campaign so it's appended with - deleted, copy it, rename the new campaign to the name of the original and delete the old one.

This basically resets everything and sends the ads through the process as new.

Ali

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Celebird, what's your point? These pages are not my landing pages (I specifically said my landing page for the keyword in question was the home page), and they are in fact not accessible at all through links on the site (the client's shop functionality is currently disabled).

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

(1) the under-construction related (example)
links still seem to exist on the landing-page:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:blZ4zWfuHaIJ:www.accuratecaravans.com.au/&num=1...

regardless --

(2) "Site policies refer to the advertising policies that must be followed on your landing pages and website ..."

(3) "Destination experience ... Examples: site that is still under construction"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If those links (which are hidden from view anyway) are the reason for the incredibly low Quality Score for the keyword [caravan repair brisbane], then why would the less-specific keyword [caravan repairs] - in the same Campaign, same Ad Group, and pointing to the same page - have more than double the Quality Score?