AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

3.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently overhauled a website for a client and I noticed a bunch of extensions that I hadn't set showing in SERPs. Are these automated? They link to old pages, so a click on any of the links brings people to an error page. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Extensions

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Well Tami, I will be the first to mention the obvious. Your screenshot includes both paid and organic examples. When you say "top", those results would seem to be sitelinks from your AdWords account, which would be part of your "paid listings", if you will. Of course, I'm still just assuming, because there is information missing. 

Without a doubt, the lower results are organic results/listings. There is no clear "ad" designation - Ads are always clearly distinguished as such. Your organic listings / meta tag titles can be "fixed"... Depending on the Content Management System your company uses... Or doesn't - Depending on who sold you what bill of goods. Smiley Happy 

You may have 100% control, or you may be up a creek. I'm no admin expert, but according to the page source code, the site does have WordPress plugins, which would seem to obviously mean it is a WordPress CMS site. So, in theory you should have complete and total control, but if the people who built the site were/are unscrupulous individuals... Well, then... Creeks, paddles and the like...

The bottom line is the AdWords account can't fix that.

Tom

View solution in original post

Extensions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There are automated extensions - when you go to the Ad Extensions tab, they can be found at the bottom of the drop-down box. There you can disable them if you wish.

Extensions

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Could you upload a screenshot?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Extensions

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

There can be ad extensions anywhere from the account level, down to the adgroup level for some extensions. Double check and make sure nothing got overlooked along with disabling the automated extensions, and you should have all your bases covered. Smiley Happy

Tom

Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for answering. I turned off dynamic sitelinks, but that didn’t do anything. I will try to disable all of them.

Tami

Re: Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The ones at the top are the ones I did. The lower ones I'm asking about. Some of them appear to have been scraped from the new site, but the other go to broken links.

Screenshot 2017-02-16 09.29.39.png

Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Downloaded in this thread.

Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Tom.

I did all of that and turned off the automated extensions. I assume it will take some time for that to take effect? And once Google recognizes all of our new pages, the automated extensions can be turned back on?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Extensions

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Well Tami, I will be the first to mention the obvious. Your screenshot includes both paid and organic examples. When you say "top", those results would seem to be sitelinks from your AdWords account, which would be part of your "paid listings", if you will. Of course, I'm still just assuming, because there is information missing. 

Without a doubt, the lower results are organic results/listings. There is no clear "ad" designation - Ads are always clearly distinguished as such. Your organic listings / meta tag titles can be "fixed"... Depending on the Content Management System your company uses... Or doesn't - Depending on who sold you what bill of goods. Smiley Happy 

You may have 100% control, or you may be up a creek. I'm no admin expert, but according to the page source code, the site does have WordPress plugins, which would seem to obviously mean it is a WordPress CMS site. So, in theory you should have complete and total control, but if the people who built the site were/are unscrupulous individuals... Well, then... Creeks, paddles and the like...

The bottom line is the AdWords account can't fix that.

Tom

Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Tom. I know that the first ones are ads and the second are organic, so it makes sense about it not being an AdWords issue - I thought it was an automated extension issue, but apparently it's not.

I was just wondering if the broken links from the old site will eventually correct after Google has crawled the site for awhile. 

My company did the site, and I optimized all the pages with title tags etc., so those should be OK. Just trying to figure out if there's anything that can be done, but I guess I'm in the wrong place! Thanks for your help!