AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Extended Headline Ads and Different Devices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone! Happy Friday!

I was wondering how everyone is handling the new extended headline ads in terms of devices.

With the previous standard text ads you could tick a box to say that you wanted that ad to appear on mobile.

With the extended headline ads that option is gone so the only thing you can do is to create duplicate campaigns and ad groups with one targeting computers and tablets and the other targeting mobile devices.

This is obviously a lot of work and although I don't mind doing it - my worry is that Google will somewhere down the line re-introduce that mobile tick box and then you will have to merge the campaigns again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Laura

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

If you look at the expanded text ads format, you will see that they are intended for all the devices. Due to this reason device preference settings are unavailable here. Similarly, when you look at the preview, you will see how the expanded text ad look like for mobile and desktop. 

In nutshell, it means that Google wants you to create a single campaign for multi device targeting and then monitor the user behaviour. Bid adjustment for various devices is of course another option to deal with.

I hope this helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Extended text ads were designed by Google to work equally well on mobile devices, and desktop/laptop search engine results pages.  So it is no longer necessary to configure a second set of ads for mobile. 

They had to stop displaying ads along the right side of the page in order to accommodate ETA's on desktop/laptop SERPs.  So that change was made first.  Then the ETA's arrived, and everything is compatible now. 

This doesn't mean you can't still run separate campaigns targeting mobile, where it makes sense.  

The only exception is the special-purpose "Call Only" ads, which are only served to mobile devices with integral calling capabilities.

hth!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

If you look at the expanded text ads format, you will see that they are intended for all the devices. Due to this reason device preference settings are unavailable here. Similarly, when you look at the preview, you will see how the expanded text ad look like for mobile and desktop. 

In nutshell, it means that Google wants you to create a single campaign for multi device targeting and then monitor the user behaviour. Bid adjustment for various devices is of course another option to deal with.

I hope this helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you! Smiley Happy