Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Experiments while on Target CPA

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Everyone,

I recently after 4 years of CPC individual KW bids set all ad groups to "Target CPA" no longer spending hours dealing with individual KW costs.    So far so good I am having good results. 

However, I usually run KW experiments. Are KW experiments still usfull if im no longer bidding individual KW but using Target CPA?

The same issue with Ads I have expirements there too. So the question is are experiments less usfull when your groups are set at Target CPA. Or do I still contunue experiments as always? 

I have never "I understand that you can" set entire adgroups on an experiment for "say" 30 days. Is this type of experiment usfull considering my new Target CPA settings across the board?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you good folks cam give. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Experiments while on Target CPA

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

In my opinion, testing new keywords is never a waste of time. After all, although your campaign is set to focus on CPA, the bottom line is that when someone searches on Google--it's on a keyword in your campaign that your ad either is, or is not, triggered.  Keeping your keyword list healthy is an ongoing project, not a one-time task. 

In my opinion and in the opinion of many others, testing new ad messaging is even more important. You need to try and refine your ad messaging often--if not constantly. Search query trends change and you need your ads to stay relevant. Seasonality affects many industries--the ads that did well for you in the summer may not work in the winter, etc.

Monitor your before and after results closely, of course, any time you make a change to a campaign.

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Nilsson1967;

I would briefly say, that I fully agree with Theresa . No matter what is your targeting method: keeping a solid and well performing list of keywords, and experimenting with ad-copies, are essential for a successful campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello thanks for your imput.

When you say experimenting with ad copies, kw etc. Are you talking about just looking over what works and what doesnt with different ads etc and just seeing what ad does better and pausing poor performence.

Or are you talking about, the official Google experiment "Control and experiment"  "Control Only" "Experiment only" 

Me results for Google experiment is that 95% of outside experiment was much better than, control or experiment. 

I am also not confident in my knowledge concerning experiment, I tend to over think things that are really simple, but experiments I never really did understand very well.

Thank You

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Me results for Google experiment is that 95% of outside experiment was much better than, control or experiment. 

I usually let the control group have the same settings I had before (if my bid is $1 I´ll let that still be so for the control group) and make changes just to the experiment group when I start an experiment.

If I let it run long enough and all things equal (no seasonality, or competitors starting to be aggresive, for example), the control group should have about same result as the "outside experiment" (former settings)