AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Expanded Text Ads vs Standard ads - Worse Performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi community,

I am evaluting 6 months of ETA's performance. I've been testing them on 15 accounts and in +500 adgroups. All my ads are optimized for conversions (rotation). In most cases I have 1 ETA and 1 standard ad.

In majority of adgroups, the ETA is displayed far more often than the Standard Ad - which I assume is a result of the engine choosing this as the one that will perform better. However both CTR and CR for ETA's are worse than in the Standard Ad that it displayed only 20-30% of the time. 

Of course I find it counterintuitive. Why would the system prefer an ad that has lower CTR and CR? Secondly, is it possible that the problem lays down in the optimazation setting? The differences are sometimes vast (ctr 18% in standard and 8% in eta ; cr 6% in standard and 4.5% in eta, % served 75% eta and 25% for standard). I have seen the issue in approx. 60% of adgroups.

I have some assumptions, that maybe switching to optimizing for clicks and ecpc would improve the performance? But that still does not explain the misperformance described above.

I'd love you hear your experiences and advice Smiley Wink

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm seeing ETAs perform worse on CTRs in the accounts I manage as well, but it could be that my team has done far less split testing on ETAs and I'll explain in a moment how Google may intentionally offer a lower CTR product.

I think the reason Google is doing this is user experience, and I think there is better user experience now.

Before, users read the few characters in the headline and clicked if the headline was generally of the same topic they were looking for. and had a couple enticing sales points. In some cases, the landing page they arrived on didn't answer their questions which is what Google is all about.

Now, with all of the extra characters, users will click on the ads that sell to them and offer an enticing headline but also provide answers. There is a greater standard now for how much advertisers need to sell to the users.

Google's goal is to maximize user experience and connect questions with answers, not to maximize their earnings.

Perhaps with some extra testing we can get these CTRs even higher? Try some headlines that really indicate to the users that you'll provide all of the information they're looking for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for taking time to reply Smiley Wink 

However there's a lot od specultion and assumptions here. I would like to find out, why are ETA's preferred on "optimize for conversions" setting, even though they perform worse on any metric. 

I agree that more testing has be done with the headlines, but that does not explain all the differences.