1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exclusions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've tried to exclude other countries (other than Canada) for targeting, using only the US.  I'm still getting cpc's from Japan, China, Thailand and everywhere else.  Oh, yeah, and Croatia!  What am I doing wrong?  Please, I can't afford to keep paying for bounces.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Targeting exclusion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Docsheila and welcome:

You are probably targeting by both location and intent, (the default). The clicks you are getting are, likely, from users searching for the product, but located outside your targeted area.

Read this article:

An Introduction to AdWords Targeting

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Targeting exclusion

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey,

You need to target the option:

People in my targeted location 

instead of the default option

People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Re: Exclusions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you - one other thing.  I do want and have as a keyword for my specfic area for those out of my area who want to use my service for delivery in my area.  Targeting by location for "People in my targeting location"  won't prevent my ad from being seen by others?  I have my region in the US targeted but get some business from people using our city name in their search.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Docsheila
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Targeting your ads only to 'people in your targeted location' would in fact disallow your ad from showing to others who are searching for your ad using the location name.

Why not add the regions that have resulted in clicks and no business as exclusions? 

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much:  I think I've got it straight!  I'll try that

sheila