AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Excluding B2C Searchers For B2B advertisers?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am struggling with this problem for multiple clients and am looking for any and all ideas (even outrageous creative ideas)

Many B2B searchers look for broad terms that are also searched by consumers.

For example, a medical supplies company might only sell to nursing homes and hospitals in bulk, but those buyers at hospitals search, "medical supplies" or " dynarex iodine scrub" but if a patient is told by his doctor to buy some dynarex iodine scrub, he will search the same thing... Obviously, in aggregate, the consumer searchers greatly outnumber the B2B searchers...but the B2B leads are worth much much more.

I know two ways to try to exclude is to use B2B words appended to search terms (i.e. bulk, custom, wholesale, distributor, etc...) but, that leaves too much opportunity on the table.

I know another option is to add negative keywords that consumers might search...

Another strategy is to use the ad copy and extensions to specifically focus on B2B (but this will hurt quality scores and click through rates.)

I am trying to figure out if there are any location based targeting options on top of those ideas... or broader strategies you can think of that will help focus the spend on the right searchers without missing out on much of the opportunity.

For example, has anyone used location groups targeting to central commercial areas? Has it worked well for a strategy like this?

What about radius targeting around the targeted consumers location. For example, uploading addresses of every nursing home and hospital you are targeting... and putting the closest radius targeting as possible to that. As far as I can tell the narrowest targeting is 1KM, which is about 0.6miles. Is there a way to focus it even more? What about through the API or Scripts? What about adding a layer of IP exclusions or targeting specific IPs through the API? is any of that possible?

Please leave any ideas you have, any keyword or negative keyword lists you have for these types of campaigns, and what strategies you find to be most effective for these types of clients?

Thanks,

David Melamed

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Excluding B2C Searchers For B2B advertisers?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey David, 

I really appreciate your experiment on B2B and B2C scenarios. Few things, worth experimenting are :

1. Gmail Sponsored Promotions (GSP) - B2B members are very hard to reach. So, reaching out to these members within the email can be a better strategy to achieve the business goals.

2. Make use of In-Market Segments - May be you have already experimented. Still, adding a segment of paid traffic visitors in Analytics and analyzing the In-Market Segment can pay off

I would be really happy, if these things can help you a bit Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Shafi Ahamed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great question. Unfortunate that there isn't much response to this question. I am adding this comment so that this come up on top again. Also, David, if you have learnt anything up until now, it will be great to hear what you learnt. Thank you.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
This 2015 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

You may of course reference this older thread in your new post, if you wish.

Thank you.