AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Excluding B2C Searchers For B2B advertisers? (re-posting David Melamed's)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone! 

I am taking the liberty to "repost" David's query because he has articulated his query very well. Unfortunately, his query did not get good responses. Request you to review and respond

I am struggling with this problem for multiple clients and am looking for any and all ideas (even outrageous creative ideas)

Many B2B searchers look for broad terms that are also searched by consumers.

For example, a medical supplies company might only sell to nursing homes and hospitals in bulk, but those buyers at hospitals search, "medical supplies" or " dynarex iodine scrub" but if a patient is told by his doctor to buy some dynarex iodine scrub, he will search the same thing... Obviously, in aggregate, the consumer searchers greatly outnumber the B2B searchers...but theB2B leads are worth much much more.

I know two ways to try to exclude is to useB2B words appended to search terms (i.e. bulk, custom, wholesale, distributor, etc...) but, that leaves too much opportunity on the table.

I know another option is to add negative keywords that consumers might search...

Another strategy is to use the ad copy and extensions to specifically focus on B2B (but this will hurt quality scores and click through rates.)

I am trying to figure out if there are any location based targeting options on top of those ideas... or broader strategies you can think of that will help focus the spend on the right searchers without missing out on much of the opportunity.

For example, has anyone used location groups targeting to central commercial areas? Has it worked well for a strategy like this?

What about radius targeting around the targeted consumers location. For example, uploading addresses of every nursing home and hospital you are targeting... and putting the closest radius targeting as possible to that. As far as I can tell the narrowest targeting is 1KM, which is about 0.6miles. Is there a way to focus it even more? What about through the API or Scripts? What about adding a layer of IP exclusions or targeting specific IPs through the API? is any of that possible?

Please leave any ideas you have, any keyword or negative keyword lists you have for these types of campaigns, and what strategies you find to be most effective for these types of clients?

Thanks,

David Melamed

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Excluding B2C Searchers For B2B advertisers? (re-posting David Melamed's)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chaitanya,

I am currently working on several accounts similar to David's example - medical products that get B2B and B2C searches.

In many industries like these the majority of search queries do not provide any clues about whether they are a consumer or business.

(the same often applies for luxury products - searches just search for the product type, but they might want cheap or expensive).

What has worked best for us to make it clear in the ad that the product is B2B - like "Commercial Quantities" in the second headline. And bid on all ambiguous keywords.

Don't worry about QS. CTR is only a part of QS, and you will only be compared with the existing CTRs of ads for those keywords. If there are only B2B ads, it is not a problem. If there are B2C ads your QS could drop by a point - bid for a lower position, and businesses will still see your ad.

Re: Excluding B2C Searchers For B2B advertisers? (re-posting David Melamed's)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This is a nice question, and it seems that you  applied all common practices.

In niche fields, and medical devices / medicinal supply devices are one of them, there are always calls / conversions from consumers showing interest in the product. That's a  point you'll have to take into account while calculating the budget....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’