3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Audience

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a goal to generate as much unique visitors as possible. So we have tried to setup „antiremarketing“ for search (RLSA) and GDN applying Campaign Audience Exclusions.
RLSA shouldn`t work if the user is logged to any Google account.

Antiremarketing setup works as expected in Private Browsing.
But antiremarketing doesn`t always work in usual browsing window without Google login in several browsers/computers both in search&GDN. The cookie can be found in the remarketing list.
Google help desk has confirmed that the setup was done right, but investigates only use cases that are performed in Incognito window.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how can it be fixed?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Excluding Audience

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I am not quite sure I got your question right; but to clear a few points:

• RLSA does work when users are logged into their Google account;
  • Remarketing is a cookie based (browsers enable) technique to show ads to users previously visited a site, irrelevant whether logged in or not. (Otherwise, serious implications of privacy might arise)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Egle M,

As I understand what you have described you are collecting previous "all visitors" and excluding them from your current campaigns . From Search campaigns you are excluding an audience made with a TAG ( usually used to create a RLSA campaign) and from Display campaigns you are excluding an audience made with Analytics or AdWords Tag.

Why you still have paid returning visitors from normal browsing sessions ? It could be because certain users have turned off loading images (used for remarketing) or 3rd party cookies (used by remarketing with Google analytics from doubleclick.net). Since in these cases the remarketing cookies are not created, the users cannot be excluded from viewing your Ads with audience exclusion.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm...
I don't quite understand why t exclude audiences visited the site, are more likely to convert; and just need "an extra push"...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you guys for your contribution!

2 MosheTLV:
The main and only goal is maximum unique visitors per month, not conversions, not even quality of visits. That`s why we came up with the plan to exclude people, who have already visited the site this month.
Google team explained this kind of remarketing doesn`t work in search when user is logged.

2 Adrian:

Yes, you got it right.
The list was created using AdWords remarketing tag and then excluded: 1) in the Audiences section of search campaigns, 2) in the Remarketing section of GDN campaigns.
I can see the case when „antiremarketing“ doesn`t work myself in several computers without any sophisticated settings. Pictures are on. I don`t use any ad blockers. Standard settings for cookies.
As far as I understand, this screenshot that was made before testing antiremarketing http://www.evernote.com/shard/s207/sh/1e1b097a-c1f0-40b4-a1a5-d86f71010877/28ec6f4f42f830cabbf8713d8... proves that the cookies was created. The ID matches ID of the Remarketing Tag.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eglė M
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately my knowledge at this point is limited to the information I have already provided. I do not know what to tell you to help you further. Probably only google support can dig further to offer you some pointers.

All you could do, excluding the audience, you have already done. Now it is a problem of only discovering if the exclusion works or not , if it is a bug or not.