AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exclude IP ranges

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why is there no option to exclude a range of IP addresses?

I am working on massive campaigns targeting mostly arab countries. But we keep getting useless leads from countries like Sudan and Syria. For some unkown reason these countries do not appear in the exclusion list. No matter what we do we are getting leads from those countries. 

Here is what I have been doing:

1. Target: People in my targeted location

2. Exclude: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location

3. IP address exclusion

According to Google Analytics there are leads coming from Syria. For some reason Adwords Dimensions > Geographic doesnt display all the countries that click on your ads. I have placed Syrian IP addresses in my exclusion list but because the wildcard * can only be placed on the last digit I would literally need to add thousands of individual ip addresses to stop the flow. Why is there no option to exclude ranges?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exclude IP ranges

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

As per the help center notes, you can exclude upto 500 IP addresses per campaign. But it is recommended to exclude the geographical location if the area is in bulk because excluding IP address is restricted for certain range of users.

Currently there is no option to add the range of IPs as in the current regular AdWords interface and only way out is to manually enter all the IPs.

Also note that in case you want to exclude some location, that's possible if that area is actually in your targeted locations. You cannot exclude something which you have actually not added.

I went through this detailed spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoXclFw9v2cWdEtuZUJPY1dhR0RmQ2tvZkxPeVMxT1E#gid=0) and can't find Syria and Sudan as Target Locations, which means that if Google ads cannot be served in those countries, then there is no point getting fake leads from those countries with source of origin as Google AdWords. There might be a possiblity that the leads which you are getting are using some other traffic source to reach your website.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Arifx,

I was searching for the same and found https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Exclude-Sudan-and-Syria-traffic/td-p/28027...

Please read...May be this is the solution. Let us know for any query.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am aware of the option to exclude 500 ip addresses but that is not practical for entire countries.

"if Google ads cannot be served in those countries, then there is no point getting fake leads from those countries with source of origin as Google AdWords."

But Google ads are being served in those countries. We have in our CRM leads coming from Syria through Google adwords. Even Analytics confirms the origin of the leads are from Syria. 

I think what I will do is discuss this issue with our Adwords Account Rep and see if she could find a way to peramanently block those countries for our account. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kandarp,

I checked out the link and it recommends configuring the target location as I already did.

Aside from that and adding IP exclusions there is really nothing else to do. It would be nice if people could block IP ranges instead of individual IPs.