Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact match with poor QS

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I just wanted to check something. I've a group with just one exact match word. The ad of this group uses that word 3 times and the landing page is alright (I'm having 10's QS words with the same landing). The problem is that that word has a 4 QS.

If I'm not wrong the only chance here for this low QS is the CTR isn't it? Or could be something else?

Best

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exact match with poor QS

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

CTR is the biggest factor of QS. So you need to increase your CTR. Having the keyword in the ad three times will not magically make people click. It may make it light up like a Christmas tree as each word will be bolded but that does not make it more attractive. Say something in your ads that will make them want to click. Give them an offer they can't refuse (to click on).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Lucid!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Juanintera;

Is this a new keyword just added?

If Yes; Wait for a while. When a new keyword is added the QS initially "given" is based on other advertisers' QS for that KW. (calculated using the keywords' exact match). After a while, when the campaign is adding additional impressions, the QS is starting to be calculated based on thatkeyword own CTR.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Moshe. The word is old indeed. It's very weird because it has a 10% CTR! Someone told me to try this type of match: [+word]. What do you think about it?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No such match [+word]

Is that a popular keyword? I did see cases (one was discussed on this community - see link below), that there are keywords in competitive areas that "you can't beat the QS". My assumption is that in those fields, the QS is relative to other advertisers. - But, this is my own speculation. Smiley Surprised

Check this discussion:

A mystery called "Quality Score";

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Hi, Arnon.   Here's an AdWords book, dedicated to Quality...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi guys,

I have a 1-word group with exact match type and 10% CTR. Landing perfect as well as very relevant ad. QS? 5!!!

It's a competitive word so my assumption is that 10% is relatively lower than my competitor's. Because there's no other explanation to it.

So the solution is to keep increasing CTR to maybe 15%.

By the way my average position is 1.2!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks again Moshe. I just posted in that discussion.

The only answer I have to this mistery besides than praying to God is that competitors have +10% CTR so QS is relative.

By the way it's a CPA campaign... could it be that Conversion Rate takes into effect for QS in Conversion Campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Juanintera, another important consideration is that not all Keywords can have a score of 10/10.  For some 8/10 may be the highest you can ever achieve.  

For others 10% CTR may not be enough or it may not be the biggest part of the equation for that word.  I have Keywords that have CTRs well into the 20% + range and which are still not 10/10.  I have others that have CTRs of less than 5%, but which are 10/10.

We do know that there are some elements to Quality Score that Google does not reveal.  We also know that there are some elements of Quality Score that are dependent upon the performance of other advertisers.  All we can ever do therefore is work upon what we know and what we can control.  If we do all that we can there to the best possible standard and the QS is still below 10, we accept it.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
You're right Cobnut. It seems very clear to me that the CTR has not an absolute influence on the QS but a relative one depending on competitor's CTR.

Something of the sort:

QS 5 word: My ad is 10% CTR, competitor's Ad 20% CTR.

QS 10 word: My ad is 5% CTR, competitor's Ad 1% CTR.

This is my conclusion if I'm not wrong.