1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact match problem

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,  I have a keyword type problem if someone can help me...  I have exact, phrase and broad term campaigns set up for the same keywords.  So, for example,  Exact campaign keywords:  [catfood] [cat food]; Phrase campaign keywords:  “catfood” “cat food”; Broad match campaign keywords:  +cat +food.  However, the phrase and broad match campaigns are not displaying because, it says, “this keyword is triggering other ads with a similar keyword [cat food]”.  It SAYS that, but the broad and phrase keywords are still getting some traffic – but not nearly as much as the exact match. 

Is there a way to make the phrase and broad match keywords display for non-exact matches?   Should I just not have the keywords as exact match?  I thought having exact match as well would be good because it would be cheaper and more accurate if people are searching exactly for those keywords.  Perplexed!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exact match problem

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jane,

Welcome to the community. Are you running two different ads with the same keywords? because it seems so. It is really not a good idea to have keyword duplication within the account.

When it comes to match types, I prefer to go with the exact match type or phrase match. You can also use broad match modifier keywords. However, in last two cases, you need to be very sure about the keywords that you are using. It is likely to happen that these two types may generate some unwanted clicks to your ads, which nobody wants to see.

If you really wish to target multiple keywords, then I suggest you create different ad groups in single campaign or multiple campaigns with individual ad groups. The choice is yours. But my suggestion is to you that keep your account tight and specific with keyword selection. Do not experiment too much with keyword types.

By using exact match type, you may receive very targeted traffic, however, you may have to pay more for them. Again, it is a choice between quantity and quality. If you really need quality keep your account short and simple with limited, yet targeted keywords. Or else you can try out multiple keyword variation as mentioned above.

But do remember, try to avoid keyword duplication within the account.

As per Google: Note that it's a good practice to avoid having duplicate keywords in your account as Google shows only one ad per advertiser on a particular keyword.

I hope this helps.
Kapil M
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jane P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Jane,

One option I could think of in your case could be that you should add the embedded negative match type keywords in Phrase campaign and Broad Campaign. So for example you can add the "cat food" and [cat food] as negative keywords at campaign level for Broad match campaign. Similarly add [cat food] like keywords as negative match at campaign level for Phrase Match campaign. No negatives for Exact Match campaign.

Also make sure that you bid highest for Exact, then for phase and least for Broad in terms of precedence.

This would ideally bifurcate the traffic into all 3 campaigns and based on the search queries you received, you can tweak the campaign accordingly.

Let us know how it works!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Leave the keywords just the way they are now, you are doing fine.

The warning you get is normal, because it says the case when searcher searching the exact terms as 'cat food'.

why you getting a little traffic for your phrase match and broad match keyword might be because a lower bid you set, try up-bid them, however don't set their bids higher than the exact match ones.

hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj, Thanks very much for this. I already have the negative keywords in place, but my bids were not right, so I've fixed that now as per your advice.

Much appreciated.

Jane

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Xwolf, this is really helpful and I'm glad I'm not too far off track! I'll try increasing my bids as you suggest, keeping the exact match ones highest.

Cheers

Jane

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kapil, Thanks for this, I appreciate the advice.

Jane
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jane P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Jane P,

That's just the way the bubble tool works. Use the Ad Preview tool and put in variations of your keyword "cat food".

Enter a search query of "cat food". That should trigger from the exact match keyword. If not, raise the exact match bid.

Enter a search query of "best cat food". That should trigger from the phrase match. Same here, if it does not raise the bid, but not higher than exact match.

Enter a search query of "best food for cats". That should trigger from the BMM keyword.

Also, run search term reports frequently for both the BMM and phrase match keywords. You will likely find many queries that are not related to your offer. Use negative keywords to block those queries.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brilliant, thanks Pete.