AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact match campaign generating unrelated broad match clicks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a campaign entirely composed of exact match keywords, all 3 words or more, comprised of about 3500 keywords I generated from the Certified Knowledge keyword mixer.  They're all very specific to my business, landing page, and ad content.  The campaign is doing very well, hitting budget every day, but looking through the Search Term Detail report, the actual terms I'm generating clicks from are completely unrelated to my keywords.  For example, this campaign is entirely devoted to 'ecommerce developer' related keywords (every single one contains the words 'ecommerce' and a synonym of 'business'), but many clicks I'm getting are from searches like 'setting up email on iphone' or 'how to create a responsive website'.

I've been through my list of keywords with a fine toothed comb, and confirmed that everything is set up correctly as exact match, and I (obviously) have no terms mixed in even remotely like these phrases or others I've gotten.  I'm using negative keywords, but that feels like trying to patch a crumbling dam with a stick of gum -- it'll never be a sufficient fix.

Of note, I have a separate phrase match adgroup set up with similar keywords, the same budget, and ads, and it is not even being shown because the exact match group is instead.  Could this be part of the problem?  I was expecting the phrase match group to be shown to a broader range of search terms, while the exact match group would only be shown to precisely qualified searchers.

I'm stumped, hoping for some help.  Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exact match campaign generating unrelated broad match clicks.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Charlie,

Did you disable the advanced keyword matching options under campaign settings which actually includes plurals, misspellings, and other close variants for exact and phrase match type keywords?

If that's on, you should disable that so that you only get the traffic from the exact terms included in your campaign.

I really doubt about getting clicks from the Search terms like setting up email on iphone for the keyword ecommerce developer as you said above if you are using exact matches only. Can you share any substancial screenshot in reference to this?

Is there a possiblity that you included the broad match keywords for sometime and those terms generated queries like this?

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I totally agree with @pankaj1782; Noway an exact match KW would match   a different search query;

Other KW is most likely matches the search query

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses!

I've disabled close variants, and we'll see how that goes. I did not think having that option turned on would essentially turn my keywords into broad match, though that seems to have been the effect?

Here is a screenshot of my last week's search term detail report: Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 10.35.46 AM.png

As you can see, there are broad match and phrase match results in there.  There are, however, no keywords of those types in this adgroup, and there never have been.  I've double checked this dozens of times.  If my keyword report would be of service, I can attach that here as well.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Please add the column that shows the KW that matched the search term
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That column is completely blank -- no information there, just empty fields.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This is unlikely to be a bug.  There is a column showing for each search term, what KW it matched. You can clearly see that broad match KWs matched the search terms. The question is just which.

See instructions in this link;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is what I see with that keyword column:

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 10.56.58 AM.png

Also, here is a link to my complete keyword list for this adgroup.  You'll have to take my word that this hasn't changed for the durration of the adgroup: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApgiKCAvA_s-dE1jaU1qTS1hUFJXTE1pV1RGYjlxQ2c&usp=sharing

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hmmm... I checked a number of my accounts. In all of them I see the KWs triggered the ad ("excluded" means the ad had been triggered before the KW was set as negative).
I'll ask other Top Contributors to chime in here;

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I looked at the spreadsheet you provided. How come non of these exact match KWs triggered the ad?
Someone will have to deeply dig into your account. I will escalate the case to Google