Guide Me
star_border

Exact match, and "see search terms" report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am wondering the following - 

For some fo the camapigns I am running I obviously have some keywrods on exact match.

I f I select one of these keywrods, and then navigate up to "see search terms", choose "selected" and view the following rpoert there is a list of search terms that have come in on my exact match keywrod.

Why is this - I thought exact match only brought in search terms that were precisely exact and nothing else?

Also, in relation to this  - it seems to be happening for phrase match too.

Cheers!

Emma

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author EMCL
September 2015

Re: Exact match, and "see search terms" report

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Emma,

AdWords recentrly changed the way that phrase and exact match types can behave.

This is from the AdWords blog

"Starting in mid-May, phrase and exact match keywords will match close variants, including misspellings, singular/plural forms, stemmings, accents and abbreviations. Based on our research and testing, we believe these changes will be broadly beneficial for users and advertisers."

You can change to behave as it did previously (the exact match) in settings under advanced settings then keyword matching options.

Good luck

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Emma,

This might be happening if you campaign has the following setting Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants under the Keyword matching option.

Via this setting, Google says it can show your ad for "close variants of your exact match and phrase match keywords. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. We won't show your ads for synonyms of your exact match and phrase match keywords.

For example, if you have the exact match keyword designer wedding dress, we might show your ad when customers search for designer wedding dresses."

If you want to opt out of this setting, you need to go on the settings tab for your campaign, and under the advanced setting, select Do not include close variants in the Keyword matching option.

Hope this helps you out.

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello EMCL,

New matching behavior for phrase and exact match keywords

this blog update will give answer of your question.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Emma,

AdWords recentrly changed the way that phrase and exact match types can behave.

This is from the AdWords blog

"Starting in mid-May, phrase and exact match keywords will match close variants, including misspellings, singular/plural forms, stemmings, accents and abbreviations. Based on our research and testing, we believe these changes will be broadly beneficial for users and advertisers."

You can change to behave as it did previously (the exact match) in settings under advanced settings then keyword matching options.

Good luck

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Emma,

This might be happening if you campaign has the following setting Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants under the Keyword matching option.

Via this setting, Google says it can show your ad for "close variants of your exact match and phrase match keywords. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. We won't show your ads for synonyms of your exact match and phrase match keywords.

For example, if you have the exact match keyword designer wedding dress, we might show your ad when customers search for designer wedding dresses."

If you want to opt out of this setting, you need to go on the settings tab for your campaign, and under the advanced setting, select Do not include close variants in the Keyword matching option.

Hope this helps you out.

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much! Nice and simple answer Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I don't know if this actually worked for you, but I am still getting other search terms even with the advanced settings set to NOT allow close variants.