AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact, Phrase, Broad Match. Which is best in my situation?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have QS's of mostly 10 down to 8s. I have a high conversion rate, above 5%. I also have a Very Low budget. I am targeting keywords used by some advertises with large budgets ( National companies) and therefore consider position 3 as the correct place to target on average in Google searches.

My business is a cottage (one only) in UK and is therefore very seasonal.

I have no problems in sharing my AW or GA account details.

Thanks Andrew S

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew S
January 2016

Re: Exact, Phrase, Broad Match. Which is best in my situation?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Andrew S,

Ideally you need to test which match type generates the most success for you, per each keyword. A common best practice is to include all match types and stagger the bids so that the more restrictive match type has a higher bid than the less restrictive counter-part. Broad could be £1, phrase could be £1.20 and exact could be £1.50 for example.

In your particular situation, with having a "very low budget", I would actually suggest sticking to phrase and / or exact match for now until you see a significant ROI. With only being able to have a limited number of clicks, you need to make sure each one has a high level of potential and broad match isn't necessarily going to achieve that for you (unless you are incredibly pro-active with negative keywords).

I'd also be careful following what the large advertisers are targeting with regards to keywords. I'd personally start with very specific terms based around the fact it's a cottage and then also include the name of the area where your cottage is located. If you struggle for traffic then you can always expand on this list with slightly broader terms.

Let me know if you have additional questions or want anything clarifying.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew S
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Andrew S,

Ideally you need to test which match type generates the most success for you, per each keyword. A common best practice is to include all match types and stagger the bids so that the more restrictive match type has a higher bid than the less restrictive counter-part. Broad could be £1, phrase could be £1.20 and exact could be £1.50 for example.

In your particular situation, with having a "very low budget", I would actually suggest sticking to phrase and / or exact match for now until you see a significant ROI. With only being able to have a limited number of clicks, you need to make sure each one has a high level of potential and broad match isn't necessarily going to achieve that for you (unless you are incredibly pro-active with negative keywords).

I'd also be careful following what the large advertisers are targeting with regards to keywords. I'd personally start with very specific terms based around the fact it's a cottage and then also include the name of the area where your cottage is located. If you struggle for traffic then you can always expand on this list with slightly broader terms.

Let me know if you have additional questions or want anything clarifying.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott,
Thank you very much. It is what I am doing broadly. I'm assuming that modified broad match sits between Broad and Phrase? Can I just say that all the information "out there" is conflicting. Some authorities that I read talk about the death of exact match and phrase match? Many " People " seem to say that it is bad practice to use the same words. I'm also using the modified broad match lots. I do not mind putting in excessive time in GAW or GA if it saves me money. With my large ticket item with a long sales funnel it is about presence and branding for me. ie PPC's rarley turn into purchases there and then. But I'm not worried about this.

Thanks again
Andrew

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew,

No problem at all.

You are correct in assuming that broad match modifier lies between broad and phrase, this image actually display the hierarchy well.

Unfortunately a lot of information is conflicting due to different advertisers seeing different results under different circumstances. My recommendation is to ask for the details behind their statements or do your own research to determine why they've said these things. In your case I suggested to add all three match types as you can then discover for yourself which is generating the best quality clicks for you. Having considering your limited budget however, I'd personally put some extra effort into generating a large (but highly relevant) list of exact match keywords (separated into appropriate ad groups). You can use your previous data in the search term report to assist with this keyword research and then expand on variations similar to the keywords which have already proven to convert. If traffic is low then start to introduce phrase match keywords and then progress to broad match modifier if you still lack traffic (although I doubt that will be the case).

If you are already seeing success however then don't be too drastic with your changes. Just focus on refining your current results and then consider expanding your budget as ROI improves (providing you still have booking slots to fill). 

And I can only disagree with the statement regarding the death of phrase and exact match. Google just changed exact match so it's not truly exact but instead includes close variants without the option to disable it. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Clear, Concise and Simply Better than I have found by reading, phoning and thinking on my own. Not only that you have given me a plan of attack that I can follow. Thanks again.! Andrew