Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Negative Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have a question. My account structure is the below... the BMM Campaign is the exact same as the Exaxt Campaign (except the match types)

Campaign = Exact

Adgroup 1 = Exact

Adgroup 2 = Exact

Adgroup 3 = Exact

Campaign = BMM

Adgroup 1 = BMM

Adgroup 2 = BMM

Adgroup 3 = BMM

Question = Do I add all the Exact Keywords from all the Exact Ad Groups as negatives at the campain level of the BMM Campaign or do I just add for example Adgroup 1 Exact Match Keywords to Agroup 1 BMM ad group at adgroup level. I hope this makes sence

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exact Negative Question

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Roxanne T
Welcome to the community!

Add negative to each ad group level respectively. This will help you to figure out easily for any miss triggering or keywords not getting impression issues in future.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi are you sure.... my account structure as above. I have added all the negatives all adgroups within the exact match campaign at campaign level on the BMM campaign... is this wrong? do i need to seperate them out and just add the exact negatives to the respective bmm adgroup at adgroup level
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roxanne T
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
This not wrong, but best practice is to use it at each adgroup level respectively for this kind of campaigns structure as per my opinion. Generally campaigns level/Account level negatives are used to prevent search queries which you don't to be triggered at all like if you are selling something then you can add "free" as negative at campaign level.

Hope that make sense!

Abhishek
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roxanne T
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok thank you for the clarity -it makes sense

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Roxanne,

You already got solution. But I want to clarify something here. What I understood from your question is that you are having two identical campaigns. One is with BMM and other is Exact. Keywords are same. Now to stop cross triggering you want to add exact negatives in BMM campaign. And If I am not wrong you don't want any of exact keyword get trigger in BMM campaign.

In this case I would add all exact match keywords in BMM campaign at campaign level. First because it is time saving, Second none of the exact keywords will match any of bmm keyword in bmm campaign.

For example:

Campaign BMM

Campaign Exact

Adgroup Level Negative in BMM Campaign

Adgroup A: +red +widgets

Adgroup A: [red widgets]

[red widgets]

Adgroup B: +buy +red +widget

Adgroup B: [buy red widget]

[buy red widget]

Adgroup C: +online +red +widget

Adgroup C: [online red widget]

[online red widget]

If you will add the negative keyword as shown in above table Campaign Exact  Adgroup B and Adgroup C keyword can trigger adcopy from Campaign BMM Adgroup A. To avoid this either I will add all negatives at adgroup level or at campaign level.

Campaign BMM

Campaign Exact

Adgroup Level Negative in BMM Campaign

Campaign level Negative

Adgroup A: +red +widgets

Adgroup A: [red widgets]

[red widgets]

[buy red widget]

[online red widget]

[red widgets]

[buy red widget]

[online red widget]

Adgroup B: +buy +red +widget

Adgroup B: [buy red widget]

[red widgets]

[buy red widget]

[online red widget]

Adgroup C: +online +red +widget

Adgroup C: [online red widget]

[red widgets]

[buy red widget]

[online red widget]

Now in the above table I have added negative at adgroup level and campaign level to show you example. But you do not need to add at both level. Either add at adgroup level or at campaign level. It will work same way. I would add at campaign level though.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
so the setup I had was correc

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @NehaGupta for adding this viewpoint as well! Yes, if the case is like above with same theme of keywords in different adgroups then adding negatives at campaign level will be an easier option.

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Your Welcome Abhishek S!
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’