AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Match & Borad Match Modified Keywords Within The Same Ad Group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up ad groups originally with exact match but for a lot of areas it says low search volume. But doing a keyword diagnosis sometimes reveals that they are being displayed even though it looked like they were not going to be.

I set up broad match modified on some ad groups to see what difference this would make in terms of increasing volume (i set up negative keywords too) but this, for some, still says low search volume or then later on changes to showing. So i presume that you have to leave keywords for a few days to get a feel for whether what adwords is telling you originally is right?

But my main question is should you use exact match and broad match modified within the same ad group? Does this help with regards to cpc? 

Or is it just simply better to go for broad match modified and ensure that your negative keywords are well equipped? 

Thanks. 

Re: Exact Match & Borad Match Modified Keywords Within The Same Ad

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

@Nicholas M wrote:

But my main question is should you use exact match and broad match modified within the same ad group? Does this help with regards to cpc? 

Or is it just simply better to go for broad match modified and ensure that your negative keywords are well equipped? 

Thanks. 

Nicholas,
If you use the keywords in the same group, you will need to make sure that the exact match has a significantly higher BID to ensure it is shown over the more open Keyword match types. But this is not always effective since Ad rank comes into place and at times the Broad will capture the exact. Hence the separate ad groups ( with negative match types) can be a better management version but takes more time to create and adds more time in the evaluation.   
I have done both versions in the past,( all in one group- vs separate group per match type) but recently see the benefit of separate ad groups ( with negative out the match type terms of the other group).  It allows a better way to force the query to the right group and have a better control on the CPC, instead of hoping that the larger bid will give a better ad rank and show for the exact rather then the Broad.
Or is it just simply better to go for broad match modified and ensure that your negative keywords are well equipped? - I think Exact match is important for all accounts, but you can get away with just broad as you state.  I like to have a much control and be able to evaluate all the data, so I like to have Exact match as much as possible as well as a +BBM match types.
SO it depends upon your own criteria which is the most effective in your case, keeping into account the ROI and Conversion of your keywords.