Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Match Negatives in BMM/Broad/Phrase Campaign/Adgroups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I just wanted to understand, does adding Exact match negatives in BMM/Broad/Phrase match campaigns/adgroups have any negative impact on my campaign performance, in terms losing out impressions. If yes, please explain me or share some case study if available to counter that.

Thanks,

Anurag

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exact Match Negatives in BMM/Broad/Phrase Campaign/Adgroups

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Anurag,

Doing this will make you lose out on some impressions when someone searches that exact phrase but you will only lose that impression in your broad or phrase ad groups. You should be targeting those same exact match terms or phrases if they are worthwhile to you in a separate ad group. If the exact phrases you mention are irrelevant to your business then adding them as negatives will only be positive in terms of efficiency and spend.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for your response. But, in my case I have same keyword in both the match types. e.g "+buy +shoes +online" in BMM and "[buy shoes online]" in Exact.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Okay, so in that example you are adding [buy shoes online] as a negative or are you asking about even more variations? I don't see any negative effects for the above example as long as you target each in individual ad groups.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Anurag S;

The key here is that if you use all match types then you need to bid the highest on exact match, lower of phrase, and the lowest on broad match.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Anurag,

This concept is called Apha Beta Campaign structure. There is nothing wrong in this case. You will not loose the impressions.

But it requires a lot of effort, like creating separate Ad Group / Campaigns for all match types.Also
You need to add Exact Match negative in Phrase match and Phrase match in BMM. You need to work a lot in negative keywords. Thus, It is time consuming process and one other advantage of this Alpha - Beta campaign structure is - your keywords will not cannibalize among other match type.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’