Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Match Keywords and Phrase Match Keywords In the Same Ad Group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi:

My question is should I be using both exact match and phrase match for the same keyword within an ad group?

I had been doing this with the impression that it would improve results, but I spoke with someone at Google today, and they indicated that this was not a good idea, as the keywords are competing against themselves. 

Also, if I just run phrase, should I delete the exact match vs. pausing them?

thanks in advance

Steve

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exact Match Keywords and Phrase Match Keywords In the Same Ad Group

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Steve,

The person at Google was right in telling you that they keywords would compete against each other.. Though.. Google does realise that itsthe same keyword in different match types and generally gives the credit to the more restrictive match type.. in your case Exact... which would inturn affect the performance of your Phrase keyword.

Having both match types in your account maybe good depending on the keyword. If you still wish to keep both the keywords I suggest putting them in different adgroups like this:

Adgroup 1:

"keyword" - Phrase match

negative -  [keyword]        //this will ensure that for all other queries exceot the [keyword] adgroup 1 will trigger your ad.

Adgroup2:

[keyword] - exact match       //this will; ensure that only the exact search query will show your ad form this adgroup.

Also, if you do this, you may see a warning on your Phrase match keyword that says you are not showing your ad since a negative keyword is blocking your ad... Do not worry about this.. this is because the exact matched keyword is blocked. for everything else your ad will show and you will see stats.. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps! Do write back if you need any clarifications Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Shweta:

If I'm going to use just phrase match, should I delete the exact match keywords?

Also, should I NOT run broad and phrase match for the same keyword in the same ad group?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Steve,

Its not that you can't use broad and phrase together in the same adgroup...
explict bidding for a match type is something you could use..
Also, exact and phrase behave differently.. so I think you should test both before deleting the keywords.
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

Different people do this differently. Some recommend separate ad groups by match type, some don't. You'll have to be the judge of that.

In as far as competing with each other, the exact match will always (usually) take precedence over the phrase match if the search query is an exact match and the exact match has a higher bid. The exact match usually deserves a higher bid as that's the reasoning behind adding the exact match term--it's performs well. If both exact and phrase match have the same bid, the more restrictive match type wins (most of the time). When more than one keyword is eligible to trigger an impressions, and "mini-auction" is conducted to see which keyword has the higher ad rank. Ad rank is QS * bid. In the case of a tie, the keyword with the more restrictive match type wins. The winner of the "mini-auction" enters into the general auction for the impression.

This is true whether the competing keywords are in the same ad group or in different ad groups. That makes this a matter of analysis. How do the CTR, QS and conversion rates compare between the 2 keywords? Are both profitable? If both are profitable, keep them both. Personal preference will determine whether you keep them in the same ad group or split them. I keep all my match types in the same ad group. Other account managers prefer to split them. I just find it easier to review if they're in the same ad group.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords